Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like GM's 3.0L Duramax diesel for use in the full size 2019 pickups is an Isuzu/Navistar.

The 4JJ1-TCX is a DOHC 16 V 3.0 L common rail direct injection engine with VGS-turbo and intercooler, originally with a 17.5:1 compression ratio. Stock power in 2006 was 163 PS (120 kW) and 360 N?m for Manual transmission/ 333 N?m for Automatic transmission, increased to 177 ps and 380 N?m in 2011 with a reduction in compression ratio to 17.3:1. With the introduction of Isuzu's "BluePower" system for improved economy in 2015, the compression ratio was further reduced to 16.5:1 both for the facelifted "Blue Power" D-Max and the Mu-X. Bore x stroke is 95.4 mm x 104.9 mm.

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might as well wipe the manual transmission specs off for use here in the US. Like all the others, I'll bet it won't even come with the option of a manual transmission in a pickup chassis. Is that a V6? Guess I didn't see where cylinder arrangement was stated. Is that gonna be for 1/2 ton trucks, or the new standard diesel engine for all pickup platforms?

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RBoots wrote:
Might as well wipe the manual transmission specs off for use here in the US. Like all the others, I'll bet it won't even come with the option of a manual transmission in a pickup chassis. Is that a V6? Guess I didn't see where cylinder arrangement was stated. Is that gonna be for 1/2 ton trucks, or the new standard diesel engine for all pickup platforms?

It's an inline 6.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> I'll bet it won't even come with the option of a manual transmission in a pickup chassis.

Why would GM offer an option nobody will buy, even if it could hit emission and mileage targets?

The diesel will come with a ten-speed automatic. That's the equivalent of how many manual transmission gears? 16? 20?

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-MarkB_MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:47:51 01/14/1Cool > I'll bet it won't even come with the option of a manual transmission in a pickup chassis.

Why would GM offer an option nobody will buy, even if it could hit emission and mileage targets?

The diesel will come with a ten-speed automatic. That's the equivalent of how many manual transmission gears? 16? 20?
It a vicious cycle. What killed the manual is packaging it with the small engine and no options. People wanted the big(ger) engine so they bought the auto. Then the marketing guys said omg the manuals ain't selling lets kill it . Sod Buster

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is Navistar hurting for work since Ford fired them? I still have to laugh whenever I hear NAVISTAR instead of IH. It was originally "Navigating the Stars", but that got dropped pretty quick.

Unless you have money to burn - seems these new diesels are silly. I am very happy with my 94 Ford IDI diel and my 1985 Isuzu IDI diesel. I suspect all I will need for the rest of my life.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:29:06 01/14/1Cool Is Navistar hurting for work since Ford fired them? I still have to laugh whenever I hear NAVISTAR instead of IH. It was originally "Navigating the Stars", but that got dropped pretty quick.

Unless you have money to burn - seems these new diesels are silly. I am very happy with my 94 Ford IDI diel and my 1985 Isuzu IDI diesel. I suspect all I will need for the rest of my life.

I'll just stick with my 8.1 gasser and 6 speed manual thank you.

Dan Richardson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know what a gasser is. I know what a six speed is. I know a Cummins makes to much noise. Beyond that..............

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty hard to shift a manual and steer while talking on your cell phone!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Russ from MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:24:19 01/14/1Cool Pretty hard to shift a manual and steer while talking on your cell phone!

Don't forget eating your sandwich at the same time, LOL.

RBoots
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just the same as an automatic, if it had 10 speeds, why the heck would you think it would need 16 or 20 in a manual? I realize they have to meet the emissions and mpg requirements, but there are still people out there that know how to shift, and like a manual transmission. Like autos in heavy truck applications, not everyone is pulling 35,000 lbs of produce. I guess I shouldn't expect any less though, people are too stupid to even figure out how to drive most of the time, let alone have manual input on a mechanical device that won't just "do it for them".

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I like about manual transmissions is they usually can wear out two engines. My neighbor just spent $3500!!! to rebuild his Chevy automatic transmission.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Just the same as an automatic, if it had 10 speeds, why the heck would you think it would need 16 or 20 in a manual?

The torque converter in a slushbox replaces a lot of gears. The Chevy Powerglide of the fifties had only two speeds, replacing a three or four-speed manual tranny.

Modern engines have relatively narrow power bands, driving the requirement for more gears to keep the engine up on its torque curve under heavy loads. And few drivers will want to mess with even a ten-speed manual in a half-ton pickup truck.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> What I like about manual transmissions is they usually can wear out two engines. My neighbor just spent $3500!!! to rebuild his Chevy automatic transmission.

Replaced a heavy duty clutch lately?

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 GMC Duramax, navistar, Isuzu diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put 300,000 miles on my '96 F-250 Powerstroke with the 5-speed manual. I bet I clutched and pulled it out of 5th to shift into 6th a couple thousand times! I test drove the first Super-Duty I could find with the 6-speed manual, SuperCab F-250 diesel. For lots of heavy towing it was the combination to have, but for all the light load running around I did my 5-speed with 3.55 gears ran right up to speed just fine. Even when I towed just short of 20,000# I was surprised how my stock truck with such long gears would climb hills and gain speed.

Unless you buy a Kenworth, Peterbilt, Navistar, FreightShaker, or some imported Hino or something, you can not get a manual transmission in a pickup anymore. Half, 3/4, or one ton, all brands, Chevy, GMC, Ford, and Ram, all only automatic as of start of 2018 model year. Ram was the last to offer a manual in 2017. After over 40 years of driving manual trans pickups, I bought my first automatic trans pickup yesterday. The salesperson even made doubly sure that I couldn't order a special option code and still get a manual. Nothing doing.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters