Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Replacement Windows

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking to replace some windows in the house.

This is a brick veneer construction with the original single pane, single hung, 1980's aluminum windows. I live in north Texas, winter rarely gets into the teens, summer is pleasant, maybe 110 at the most.

I got a quote on some vinyl R4, Lo E 366 glass.

The place I got the quote recommended the vinyl, but I've heard good and bad about it. I want the bronze color, and hear it will fade. Also they are breakable from hail.

I had the small bath window replaced a couple years ago. Different company, but they recommended aluminum. I don't remember the specs, but it was supposed to be an energy efficient, top of the line window.

It is awful! Like standing in front of a freezer when the north wind hits it! I can't pinpoint a leak, just delivers a cold draft.

Is that normal for aluminum or is there something wrong? I can't see anything wrong, it's sealed around the frame, feels good opening and closing.

Also, the quote on the vinyl, he wants $600 labor to replace 2 windows. This sounds high to me.

I'm getting more quotes, probably DIY.

But what do y'all recommend, vinyl or aluminum?

Patsdeere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have aluminum. It seems to suck the cold from outside and shoot it inside. Only experience I have had is with a door frame on a new door that was made of aluminum. It is miserable.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had aluminum windows in SE Texas with zero problems, but we didn't get cold every year like you do. Have had vinyl up here. Is ok at best. Overall, I'm happiest with wood -- providing you can keep the woodpeckers and other pests away!

Maybe look into vinyl-coated wood? Problem with that is, any moisture that gets under the vinyl often stays there and rots the wood.

Another thing is, if you ever need to put a window A/C in, you won't like many of the all-vinyl units.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I use when replacing windows is a vinyl clade fiberglass/wood window. They have a fiberglass frame with wood on the inside and vinyl on the outside. A pure vinyl window will sag over time. There needs to be a more stable frame under the vinyl. I have not installed any in the last 3-4 years so there will be "new" brands out there but stay away form the total vinyl windows. Have them get you a sample. The window should "feel" solid when you tug it up or down and push in and out on it.

Also check how they tilt in and out for cleaning. You want brands with a latche on the tilt. The ones you just "pull" on to tilt depend on "flex' in the window construction to hold/seal the window. My current house has one in the kitchen that is that way. It will not stay in any position other then locked up or full down.

Aluminum windows are terrible. The aluminum frame conducts the heat and cold right into the house. Aluminum is one of the best thermal conductors. That is why it is used in radiators and heat exchangers.

As for the labor to install windows. If he does the job correctly then the $250-300 per window in a brick house is about correct. This is totally removing the old window. installing the new window with insulation around it. Installing the flashing around it. An then totally sealing it with a good quality silicone caulk. So if your buying the windows only and he is supplying the labor an other materials then $300 is not terribly high.

Request some references and go look at some he put in a brick house. A bad job on a brick house can be costly to repair/replace.

P.S. The brand I used the most and like is "Integrity" I see they are a Marvin product and still available. They are a mid range cost/quality window. The last ones I put in ran around $300-400 a window depending on the size.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any quality aluminum window would be "Thermally Broken". Look at the frame member in section,(extrusion) and you will see the thermal brake.

woodbutcher
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I could have read this thread before I bought my replacement windows. The installation has been a nightmare for me, and what you say about a bad job on a brick house is exactly right.
Butch

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't care for vinyl windows. They are basically wooden windows covered with vinyl and when the vinyl cracks and it will the wood quickly rots. If they would use pressure treated wood it would be better but they don't.

Without being there it's difficult what might be involved in the installation so it would be hard to say if $600.00 is too much. I think I would be inclined to determine where the draft is coming from and try to solve the problem. You might rent a thermal camera to see where the air is coming from. If it's not where the window functions a can of Great Stuff expansion foam or caulk might solve the problem. If it's not the seals in the window itself chances are the problem is due to a bad installation. You also run the risk the $600.00 guy will also do a bad install.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess it depends on window quality. I have Andersen vinyl windows installed in my house when I built in 1977. Look as good today as when they were installed. You get what you pay for.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A drafty window sounds more like a poor installation than a defective window. Did the installers guarantee their work?

Between our home and various rental properties, we have several dozen vinyl replacement windows, some of them over twenty years old. Most are from a very large regional company that builds the windows and contracts out the installation. None of these windows has had any problems I would ascribe to their being vinyl, although we've had various issues fixed under their lifetime warranty.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put eight vinyl replacement windows in myself probably ten years ago. These are 100% vinyl, no wood, made by Harvey who is dominant here in the northeast. They sit in the old frame. They are just as good as the day that I put them in and every year I put window AC units in two of them with no problems. The insulation value is excellent, I don't feel any great amount of cold being conducted in. In order to get the best installation price you need to talk to the contractor. Put yourself in his shoes. He has to try to make a buck. If he can bring in all of his tools and get two days work, for just one set-up, you could probably get the equivalent of a free window installation out of it.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe it's the Texas sun. I do home repairs and I frequently have to repair the dry cracked vinyl on windows trying to extend the life of them. Some of them you can peal the vinyl off and it will crumble in you hands like egg shells and the windows are said to be less than 10 years old.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you don't have vinyl windows you have vinyl clad big difference

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worst-case it ought to take 4 hours to install one custom-made replacement window that fits into the old window frame. This guy is charging $300 for 4 or less hours of work?

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, shows times have changed. I worked for a window-replacement company in the mid 70s. I got paid $20 per window installed. Did 4-8 windows a day.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Windows Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have some all vinal windows and to me they are not much of a window But were cheap lumber yard type of window in small sizes. I prefer the aluminm or possibly vinal clad wood units. And I have some all wood double glass as well as the old single pane windows. I have storm windows on everything I can put them on.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters