Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Snowblower won't keep running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleinerpiner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Toro snowblower that I have had good luck with, 'till this year when it snowed.

It's powered by 5hp Tecumseh engine. In late fall I test ran it for a few minutes to make sure all was well. Started and ran well. Now that it's cold and snowing in Minnesota, when I need it, I'm having trouble. It's very hard to start, and when it does start it will run for 2 or 3 seconds then die. After it dies, it will not start at all. I tried fresh gas, and that didn't work. I put some Seafoam in the tank and let it sit overnight. Still no go. I have tried many combinations of choke, no choke, prime, no prime, but no results. It seems if I leave it alone for a couple hours, it will start, but then immediately dies.

Any ideas? Thank you.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a combination of sea foam and gas in a squirt can . If you get her runningg just keep squirting that mix into the carb and hopefully she may clean up and straighten out. Dump the old gas out and put fresh high test with some sea foam also. Soundslike crap in the carb. Never run these engines with regular gas. Hi- test only !!!! Have seen way toooo many with this problem. The other trouble could be Ethinol has destroyed all of the rubber parts in the carb and that is going to be a whole nother set of problems.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the carb. has a bowl on the bottom with a brass nut in the middle and a screw in that, take the brass nut out while holding the bowl, then count the number of turns the screw goes in to gently bottom out and then remove the screw with spring. Every Tecumseh engine I've had one time or another has had crud in one of the holes in that brass nut, one hole is even hard to find some times, poke a tiny wire through it. When you go back together put that screw in the same amount of turns off the seat.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep. one of the tiny holes in the brass nut is plugged.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

. Few pict.s if your carb. resembles this one.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey give this lemon juice trick a try. Actually mkaes scene.
cook lemon juice.

steve_in_mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you're a masochist or you get really lucky,
you can't afford to waste time rebuilding that carburetor.
You can buy a good replacement for under $20 on eBay.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no need for a carb rebuild. Just clean the two tiny holes in the jet.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really have to find an old machine, but they made the brass jet without the bare thread notch. If you ever find one, tag it as an antique and buy a new one. They must be installed to line the holes in the body, to the holes in the jet. That is why the notch is there.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once you have engine running ok put a shut off fuel valve on it and run carb dry when you are done. I run Briggs & Stratton fuel stabilizer that combats the effect of ethanol gasoline and fuel can be stored up to 3 years.I don't drain fuel out of tanks of small engines anymore.

kleinerpiner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowblower won't keep running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Started to look at it today. When I got the cowling off from around the carb I noticed that the little rubber(?) line from the primer bulb had broken in at the bend into the carb. I shortened this tube, reassembled, and it started and ran for a few minutes.

I'm guessing there wasn't gas going to the carb. to keep running.

Of course it's warmer (relatively speaking) today, but we are supposed to get 6" of snow so that will be the true test.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting ideas. Will put those in the file.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters