Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the difference between a regular grader type blade and a snow blade. I have a 6' King Kutter blade on the back of my 9N Ford and it works fine for plowing snow, provided it's not too deep. If too deep, it will pile up snow under the tractor. My neighbor won't buy one for plowing snow because King Kutter doesn't sell "snow blades". My understanding between the two is that snow blades have lighter blades & frames than "dirt" blades. Are there other differences?

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen a hitch-mounted rear blade advertised or described as strictly a "snow blade".
Blades like this are designed for anything - dirt, gravel, snow, etc. There's a wide range of
classes available from lightweight to very heavy duty but for snow use any would work fine. I
think of a "snow blade" as a front-mounted unit that includes a spring trip function for when you
run into stuff like curbs that are hidden under the snow.

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My thoughts, exactly! My neighbor can shop all day for a rear mounted "snow" blade. It doesn't matter what he puts on that Kubota of his if he continues to refuse to put chains on it. I told him that I would not back a rubber tired tractor out of the barn in winter without chains on it---especially if I wanted to do something with it other than get stuck.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been farming for well over 50 years and don't own any tire chains and don't remember the last time I got stuck in the snow.

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:00:50 01/21/1Cool I have been farming for well over 50 years and don't own any tire chains and don't remember the last time I got stuck in the snow.
Does it snow where you live?

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in central Kansas I don't know of anyone who has chains for their tractors. But, I see a lot
of them being used for snow removal, including my own. I've plowed a lot of snow over the years
with my "bare tired" Deere M and 6-ft rear blade. I'm sure chains would make it even better but
that doesn't mean at all that it's useless the way it is. All depends on the conditions. An 8"
snow would be a lot for us and is completely managable without chains but much more than that would
probably give problems.

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Brendon-KS wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:29:59 01/22/1Cool Here in central Kansas I don't know of anyone who has chains for their tractors. But, I see a lot
of them being used for snow removal, including my own. I've plowed a lot of snow over the years
with my "bare tired" Deere M and 6-ft rear blade. I'm sure chains would make it even better but
that doesn't mean at all that it's useless the way it is. All depends on the conditions. An 8"
snow would be a lot for us and is completely managable without chains but much more than that would
probably give problems.
There you go---not having to use anything more than a back blade to plow snow says a lot. That's just not much snow. I use a bulldozer with a 44" high bladt to plow my driveway & can have snow spill over the top of it. When I get done plowing with the crawler I clean up with a back blade on my 9N Ford.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have chains for my loader tractor and 99% of the time they hang in the machine shed all year long. Only time I need them is when we have had ice before snow and been doing my mile long drive for 37 years now. I do have a 8.5 wide V plow I built some 25 years ago so I plow what I drive in before the tires hit it but there are places I have to drive where I do not plow and never had problems

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kinda thought the bow or pitch of blade was the difference..

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would guess that the only thing crucial about the blade angle is that it's positioned so that the snow slides off the side as opposed to stacking up in front of it.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2 wheel drive Ford 7700 has fluid in the tires, it walks through snow pretty good, no chains. I take round bales to the cattle on the three
point, it will get hung up with heavy wet snow dragging the transmission but chains don't help for that either.

Paul

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-paul wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:23:45 01/23/1Cool My 2 wheel drive Ford 7700 has fluid in the tires, it walks through snow pretty good, no chains. I take round bales to the cattle on the three
point, it will get hung up with heavy wet snow dragging the transmission but chains don't help for that either.

Paul
I high centered my little crawler one time playing in the woods. That's like setting it on blocks. I had to pull it home with one of my big ones.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a dirt blade also works good in the snow

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much snow are you talking about.We had 28" at one time a few years ago and I was able to go thru it and plow it with no chains.Tractors with 38" rear tires did the best
because of the higher clearance.

thebunns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirt Blade vs Snow Blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:00:50 01/21/1Cool I have been farming for well over 50 years and don't own any tire chains and don't remember the last time I got stuck in the snow.
I think I've found the answer to plowing snow here in the mountains without chains on the tractor. Now, if I could just find a 25' back blade I'd be in business.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters