Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeere2Cylinder
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience using a newer 1/2 ton pickup to pull his trailer? My old F350 is getting a lot of rust and I can almost see through the box from side to side. Almost time to look at new truck to drive off into the sunset with. Anyone use the turbo six cylinder F150 with the ten speed transmission? Mostly used to go to church on Sunday, but occasionally pull a trailer with a 6000 pound antique tractor on Saturdays.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another older 3/4 ton or one ton truck for hauling and a new car for transportation and travel might get you the best of both worlds. The initial cost, operating costs and maintenance costs would all be lower with that combination.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to trade my 03 f250 for a eco-boost.f150. The 150 was just barely rated to pull my tractor but not two tractors. Dealer talked me into a f250. Only thing wrong is driving empty fuel mileag. But think eco-boost will do it. I pulled with a 89 Bronco injected 302. Had to have a equalizer hitch. Plus.sway control. Pucker factor was high sometimes. Son got a f250 powerstroke. It was a trailer puller! I would get E rated tires first.then airbags.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would look at a 3/4 ton if your going to pull trailer a lot . I have a older K1500 GMC 4x4 truck with less than 74,000 miles and am going through a remanufactured trans and new pinion bearings ($5,000.00). My trailer weighs 4,200 lbs. empty and I haul one of two tractors and one is 6,000lbs. and the other is 8,000lbs. I am going to keep the truck when it's done but am looking at larger truck to pull trailer with hauling tractors.

2 colorgreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull a 6500# tractor with F150 3.5 eco-boost. Better than small block v 8s, 65mph at about 1700rpm. getting up to speed,
only about 2500 and it will upshift. Rated at 11,700 tow capacity. Great tow vehicle.

Fred47M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go for heavier truck, if just for the better brakes. Horsepower doesn't help you stop. I learned the hard way.I had a wreck with my m and will not tow more than a couple atvs with halfton. Over cautious maybe? Just my 2 cents

forty40
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JohnDeere2Cylinder wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:45:06 01/21/1Cool Anyone have any experience using a newer 1/2 ton pickup to pull his trailer? My old F350 is getting a lot of rust and I can almost see through the box from side to side. Almost time to look at new truck to drive off into the sunset with. Anyone use the turbo six cylinder F150 with the ten speed transmission? Mostly used to go to church on Sunday, but occasionally pull a trailer with a 6000 pound antique tractor on Saturdays.

I took up antique pulling 3 years ago and wanted to make sure I liked pulling, before trading in my 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton. After 2-1/2 seasons of towing nearly 12,000 lb every weekend with the 1/2 ton, the drivetrain was making a noticeable whine and the brakes wouldn't hold up all that long. The 1/2 ton truck just isn't a heavy duty enough truck for the hills of WNY and Central PA and was wearing out quickly. My trailer brakes work very well 99% of the time, but I have had them go out on a winding hilly section, wondering if I was going to get the whole thing stopped. So, I just traded for a 3/4 ton diesel, I didn't feel it was really that safe for others on the road with me using an undersized vehicle. We have grandkids and I think of the small SUV's coming around the curve with the soccer team, or the minivan stopped at the intersection with kids off to swimming, what if I couldn't keep my max'd out truck and trailer under control. For the long haul, I feel better towing with a larger truck.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the new 150 with the 3.5 ecoboost with the max towing package is rated to tow 13000lbs. My 2015 F150 with that package towed my 8500lb. tractor on a gooseneck and did very good both pulling and stopping. Chuck

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I was many times told, you DO NOT over-estimate what an AUTOMOTIVE Rear end (with NON-Floating Axles) can take...

IF an axle snaps, that wheel is GONE..

Traditionally, all 3/4 Ton P/U are Built with the safety of Floating Axles it IS a good idea..plus as stated, the Brakes are bigger..much bigger..

Graveyard1984
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've towed tractors with half ton truck.
Their ain't enough brakes to stop a trailer.

I've got a buddy that's got the ecobosts ford and towes a 30 something foot camper and he swears by it. He had to put heavier suspension and 10 ply tires just to help hold it in the road. I think he is crazy. I got a 3/4 ton and would not even think about towing his camper.

Please for your safety and everyone else safety please go with a big enough truck for the job.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been hauling our 10,000 camper and 11,000lb pulling tractor/deckover combo since 06 with Dodge Ram 5.7. In our state trailer brakes are mandatory. Not one problem mechanically, always a fear of stopping the way some people drive these days just have to be on the lookout all the time.

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chucksoliver77 wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:28:32 01/23/1Cool I think the new 150 with the 3.5 ecoboost with the max towing package is rated to tow 13000lbs. My 2015 F150 with that package towed my 8500lb. tractor on a gooseneck and did very good both pulling and stopping. Chuck

I believe the most equipped F150 Ecoboost is rated for 12,200 lbs max towing.
I don't see how you could ever do that with a truck with 7700lbs GVW. I think these companies are in a drunken competition craze when they are rating these tiny trucks to do so much.
With a 12,200 lbs trailer your pin weight is going to be close to 2000 lbs if not more.
It wouldn't be hard at all to vastly overload the truck with such a heavy trailer. If you have the balls to tow that, I would sweep the dust off the floor first.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="PretendFarmer"](reply to post at 16:23:22 01/23/1Cool [/quote
Actually it is rated to tow 13200 with the max tow and payload (over 3200lbs) and comes with the 9 3/4" rear gear set. This truck will have no problem towing and stopping a 6500lb. tractor and if this is all he is going to tow it would be crazy to by a bigger and more expensive truck, and you will not get 22mpg with any 3/4 ton gas truck, maybe 16mpg!! I have had 2 of these trucks with no problems.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Light brakes on 1/2 ton. May pull it but, what about stopping? Tow on Saturday and go to church and pray you made it on Sunday. I haul everything with 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. YMMV. My 25 cents worth.

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Ton Pickup pulling a tractor to the pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As has been said. Yes the new half tons have plenty of power BUT much less braking ability.
My local truck dealer doesn?t stock 3/4 tons anymore. The price difference between 3/4 and 1 ton are too close. IMHO bigger is better.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters