Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Painting a WD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan.T.Rebel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering where 100% of the bolts on a Allis chalmers WD painted from the factory or where some silver?

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much the whole tractor was painted !! Later on with WD-45's the generator might have been black as were the headlites, but old WD's were all ORANGE including the steering wheel. You would be better served to worry about getting the CORRECT color of orange paint (Persian orange #1) and the correct color hood decals (blue up to about 1950 and black from then on). Bolt heads & nuts were painted orange when the rest of the tractor got painted.

Ryan.T.Rebel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DrAllis wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:10 01/22/1Cool Pretty much the whole tractor was painted !! Later on with WD-45's the generator might have been black as were the headlites, but old WD's were all ORANGE including the steering wheel. You would be better served to worry about getting the CORRECT color of orange paint (Persian orange #1) and the correct color hood decals (blue up to about 1950 and black from then on). Bolt heads & nuts were painted orange when the rest of the tractor got painted.

Thank you for your help

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used stainless steel bolts and stainless washers so I don't mess paint up if I have to take hood off.

Ryan.T.Rebel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The correct paint color and the correct decals for a WD-45 !!!! It still makes me almost puke when someone spends the money for incorrect paint color and incorrect decals.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for this info, im saving it for when i paint my wd, a late 49 as far as i can tell

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which would have the blue letters with the big "A" and "S" and nothing that designates it as a "WD".

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious, when did Allis put the model designation on the side of the rad. ? Was it not until the WD45 came out or did the late WDs have it? I know some decal companies got creative and made decals for the sides of the unstyled WC. Thanks, Harry

Butch.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Life's too short to worry about the color of a tractor.
I think it's really boring looking at the same color all the time.
I painted a few Mopar Ice Blue, and one was Tequila Sunrise Vitamin C.
That one was cool!!!
It change colors when the sunlight changed.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know when the hood decals went to black letters with the "A" and the "S" the same size as the other letters, the model "WD" decal was placed on the side of the grille shell like the WD-45. I know the 53 models were like that and I think maybe back to 1951 ?? I'll bet Lyle Wacker (Osmund Nebraska ?) decals would know.

Dennis(IA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The WD that I grew up on was a '47 or '48?? It had black letters and a large A & S. It had WD on the side of the grill, and it did not have a snap coupler. Dad bought a cultivator, 2-16 mounted plow and a mounted corn picker. The corn picker came a few years later. It also had a push button switch and magneto.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1948 was the first year of the WD. In fact, there were 48 WC's. That tractor had been repainted. Big A and S with blue letters and no sign of a "WD" decal designation is correct.

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DrAllis wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:17:32 01/23/1Cool The correct paint color and the correct decals for a WD-45 !!!! It still makes me almost puke when someone spends the money for incorrect paint color and incorrect decals.
100% in agreement with you Doc
If some wants to make a farce of a tractor go for it. but the sad thing I see is there is a lot of ppl who don't even know the proper AC colors so the ones painted properly are actually the minority/conversation pieces Rolling Eyes Laughing

mccormicksw4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.shoulda put IMHO not to upset anyone Neutral

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters