Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Speeds with a trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reading between the lines, the boss wants drivers to stay below 70 MPH and wheel bearing is the excuse he's using to do that. The boss is probably trying to reduce accidents caused by his drivers and the resulting lawsuits against his business.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems made up to me.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I travel I81 thru West Virginia right much and the posted speed limit sign just says 70MPH same in Virginia.And I've pulled greased bearing trailers for years at 70-75 MPH with no
problems.Makes no sense to me having different vehicles running different speeds on the same road.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to look up the laws for towing a trailer state by state and you will find the speed limit. Just because it's not posted doesn't mean that there isn't a speed limit.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wheel bearing speed limit is a crock. If it were a reality the whole trailer towing crowd would certainly know that simply because it would have to be posted on any new trailer.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They keep talking about bearing and it's not the bearing it's the tires. All trailer tires that go on this size trailer are rated at 65 MPH max. Except for Taskmaster which is 81 MPH and Lionshead which is rated at 71 MPH.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious. I'm thinking that the
vast majority of front axles on cars
and trucks are greased bearings. Why
the difference. Same technology and
application. Why would it be unsafe
for a trailer to go 70mph but not a
car using the same technology.?

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This debate comes up from time to time. Its just like the what oil to use, or what kind of ballast is best debates. Everyone has an opinion, most are backed up by some sound reasoning. But you hit the nail on the head, the truck front axle bearings are greased and in many cases carry more weight than the trailer. Even at real high speeds wheel bearings turn at significantly slower speeds than many sealed bearings that have a lot less grease in them. If you keep your bearings greased properly you won't have issues.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wheel bearings on a motor vehicle are way better than the wheel bearings made for a trailer.

That being said, just imagine the bearing speed on a little trailer with 12" rims or less on some. They must be screaming feat.

Remember too, every U-Haul trailer is labeled "45mph max" even in reverse so you can read it in the rearview mirror! LOL.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He's talking 14,000lb. Trailer. The bearings on a 14,000lb trailer would as good if not better than bearing in the front end of a 1/2 ton
pickup. One axle on a trailer is rated at 7,000lbs. and the total weight of most 1/2 tons is less than 5,500 lbs. so your not carrying much
over maybe 3,000lbs on front axle of truck at the most. You uhaul puts that on their trailers because most people have never pulled a trailer
and don't know what their doing. I have pulled several uhaul trailers and they are the worst tracking trailers I have ever pulled.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would stand to reason trailer axel bearing should be as good as any other greased bearing on the front end of a car or truck.
But on the other hand I am sure most of us have seen way more trailers broken down on the side of the road with bearing problems than they have seen cars or trucks.
So maybe trailers do need reduced speeds.

Buy why???????????
The number one reason would be tire size on some trailers.
Smaller trailers with their smaller tires spin at much greater speeds.
Another would be boat trailers that get water intrusion in the bearing area.

But lets limit the discussion to just equipment trailers in the 14k range.
For this size trailer you would think it would have at least 15 inch tires and regular sized bearings.
So why so many problems??
I attribute it to lack of maintenance; and not being used daily.
Overloading is also a contributing factor on trailers of this size.
If that be actual overloading; or shock overloading from a not so up to date suspension.

But personally I would think condensation pitting of the bearing from not being used daily as the number one factor for bearing failure on trailers of this size. This and higher speeds are murder on bearings.

But like I said below.
Most tires on trailers of this size have a speed rating of 65 mph
Every road (as far as I have read) in the U.S.A. has a speed limit of 65 mph on trailers of this size or at least use to be that way.
So if you are not worried about going 80 mph pulling a 65 mph tire down a road with a 65 mph speed limit; then what is the point of worrying if the bearings are rated at 65 mph.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct in that the most common reason for failure is from rusted bearings from sitting. Around here the most bearing failures are boat trailers in the spring and snowmobile trailers in the fall. Both sit for months without moving alowing the bearings to rust. Then the first time out they go out. My best advice for trailer bearings is to not over grease them, by that I mean not filling the hub with grease, and moving them a little every few weeks to keep the bearings from rusting.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I have seen and heard, it seems the "bearing buddies" are part of the problem with many greased tailer bearings. Guys push way too much grease in not knowing that it is coming out the back and distorting the seal. Then it gets run in rain or slush and water comes in.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop
That is why I use Vortex Hubs.
It has a grease fitting like bearing buddy but is made to push the old grease out the front bearing rather than past the seal on the back side.
They also seal tightly to prevent water intrusion; and when used with Premium grade Lucas Oil Marine grease are guaranteed for 100k miles.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeds with a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just about every truck with every kind of trailer I see on I81 in VA and WV is running 70-75 rarely see any pulled over.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters