Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Clutch pedal has no tension

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello! I have been lurking this forum for a little while. I have been working on getting a 1952 Ford 8n up and running. I have gotten it running, but now I need to get it moving! The big problem I am having is the clutch is stuck. There is no tension in the pedal to release. Only about an inch at the bottom. Im not sure if this is a bigger internal problem as the pedal wont go back up on its own or if its the same problem everyone has been plagued with. To me it sounds like most people have tension on their pedal. I have check the linkage it is all good. Thanks for your help!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ONE possibility is that the T.O. bearing is rusted/gummed/stuff to the tube it slides one, an in the "release" position.

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion. I will add that the clutch is not engaged. With it running it will grind when trying to put it into gear. There is a tiny bit of tension at the very bottom of the pedal but only like an inch or so.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a linkage problem. Clevis on left side cracked, bolt sheared on throw out bearing fork?

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The linkage is good, to check the bearing Id have to split it correct?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you are meaning to say "the clutch isn't DISENGAGED"?

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes sorry, disengaging the clutch will allow you to shift. Right now I cant shift it without trying to force it into gear and I dont want to do that.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can see pressure plate and internal linkage by removing the steering sector.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjust the linkage till you have at least three inches of pressure when pedal is depressed.

If it won't come back up the return springs on the throw out bearing collar could be broken or missing and or the tube rusted up bad.

I had a Toyota pickup truck that the clutch would not engage and the tube on it was corroded so bad the throw out bearing collar would not come back to engage the clutch. Had to remove the transmission and case to free it up and replaced the clutch while I was in there.
I have been a mechanic full time and am 82.5 years old and lucky me still have all my fingers and toes.

Zane

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thank you!

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, thank you very much for your input. Also thanks for the experience!Im sure you have seen a lot.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dollar Bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:24:54 01/28/1Cool Sounds like a linkage problem. Clevis on left side cracked, bolt sheared on throw out bearing fork?

Its rare BUT would be the FIRST place I would look..

Clevis on left side cracked... Wink I understand it does he...

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't see the quote. The linkage looks to be good, I checked underneath it as well. Everything looks intact on the outside.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Have someone press the clutch pedal" while you are looking at the cleaves here.

You will not see a crack till you load the cleaves. If its cracked it will open up under a load Inspect all the linkage under a load. The cleaves is attached to the cross shaft with a pin the pin could be sheered. The clutch fork inside the bell housing is also attacked with a pin that can also sheer.

This is a 48 yours may differ but the same principle.

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the pictures! I will check tomorrow, I really appreciate all the help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters