Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Clutch pedal has no tension

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dollar Bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:21:35 02/21/1Cool What Royce said - Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for the delay, its been very rainy and since Im working on it outside I havent had the chance to work on it. Today I split it, and found the pilot bearing was stuck all the way out as you can see in the picture. This was causing the lack of tension in the pedal. I worked it loose and got it working again. But when I put it back together it feels as if it doesnt contact the fingers on the pressure plate. It has tension but you can tell its not pressing anything. So any suggestions?? Thanks everyone for the help again so far, and apologies for the delay!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks to me like those fingers are way down deeper in there than they are supposed to be. Are those fingers held down in there by spring tension?

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcglockin wrote:
But when I put it back together it feels as if it doesnt contact the fingers on the pressure plate. It has tension but you can tell its not pressing anything. So any suggestions??

Nothing looks out of place in your photos. Might just need to have the clutch adjusted? At a minimum, I would remove the rust on the input shaft, resurface the pressure plate and go back with a new: pilot bearing, clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing. If the T/O bearing return springs seem weak, replace them too.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whut he said... looking at it its hard to say There is a spec for clutch finger height whodathunkit... look it up... its not that hard to check it...

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:45:39 02/21/1Cool
It looks to me like those fingers are way down deeper in there than they are supposed to be. Are those fingers held down in there by spring tension?

I think the fingers are seized in that position because the throw out bearing was stuck out. Looks to me like that piece on the outside of the pressure plate is stuck up when it needs to be down.

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Im going to put all new in there. Ive got the F-04 manual but its not very specific on changing the clutch and pressure plate out. Any good links to doing it or tips?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Off the top of my head I think clutch finger height is 2"... Lay a straight edge across the the pressure plate cover measure from straight edge (SE) to flywheel then from SE to clutch finger deduct finger measurement should be 2".... The same apply s to a new clutch set up... You can make a tool to dodat sorry don't have a pix are mesuments but have the tool tho I have never used it... The straight edge/level works great never needed the tool...

BTW are all the springs in the center of the clutch disc its not uncommon to see one go MIA and lodge between the clutch disc and flywheel... Looks like that tractor has not seen action for a long time..

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:05:31 02/22/1Cool
Off the top of my head I think clutch finger height is 2"... Lay a straight edge across the the pressure plate cover measure from straight edge (SE) to flywheel then from SE to clutch finger deduct finger measurement should be 2".... The same apply s to a new clutch set up... You can make a tool to dodat sorry don't have a pix are mesuments but have the tool tho I have never used it... The straight edge/level works great never needed the tool...

BTW are all the springs in the center of the clutch disc its not uncommon to see one go MIA and lodge between the clutch disc and flywheel... Looks like that tractor has not seen action for a long time..

No it hasnt, thanks very much for all the help! I think for the price of a new clutch and Pressure plate Ill go all new. The tractor didnt run when I got it. I got it running great, no smoke or anything. Now I need to get it to move haha.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you got a level and a tape measure measure those fingers... If for nuttin else you need to check finger height on a new set up... If you don't have a level and a tape measure we may have to come and pick up your man card...

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:44:40 02/22/1Cool
If you got a level and a tape measure measure those fingers... If for nuttin else you need to check finger height on a new set up... If you don't have a level and a tape measure we may have to come and pick up your man card...

Haha!! I have a level and a tape measure. Im going to measure it tomorrow after work. I will have measurements and pictures to prove that I have a level and tape measure tomorrow evening. Stay tuned Hobo!

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am with showcrop lets take the guess out of it... The tool don't know were I got the measurements to make it, here are somewhere else dunno... You don't need it tho...

Tool

No need to have a tool use a straight edge and do the math it still works out to 2". Turn tapes around tho... The last time I studied math 2 1/4" from 4 1/4" twuzz 2"...

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just by looking at it I can tell its not 2 inches. But I will get measurements tomorrow. Thanks for the pics!

mcglockin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1.88 is the measurement. 2 3/4s minus 7/8s if my math is right

3000 FPS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That pressure plate looks shot to me.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal has no tension Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1-7/8" a typo I recon...

1/8" is BIG.... The total travel is around 3/8" (my guess)...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters