Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 5000 Super Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do I tell what year of manufacture this tractor is where are the serial numbers or the model numbers anybody who has one like this please send me pictures of the gauges pictures and explanations of the knobs and controls maybe a picture with the blade underneath would be cool I cannot find anywhere on the internet one that is gray and blue like buying all of them are blue.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will be a '63 or '64 made in England. Serial # is stamped on block above injection pump, should have FL on the head above that. '63 & '64 North American models of that tractor where called Ford 5000 Super Major and your color cream/gray hood and fenders and Blue.... In the rest of the world they where a Fordson Super Major with blue hood, white fenders...To start make sure the
injection pump fuel shut off control cable knob is pushed in. If you can find a key to fit it (I use a Toyota a key that came with mine) turn key till the gen light comes on, then push the lever down that's on the left that goes to the starter. In a few seconds it will fire up and you will have big smile on your face!

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the much-needed information everything was clear except for the part about the injection pump control knob but I do believe as a diesel that's what shuts it off as well the key is basically for the glow plug is my correct?

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're originally a 12 volt system, it's common to see alternator upgrade.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The key sends power to the starter, no glow plugs on the Majors. Hope you can get the rear tires repaired.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So if I have the injector fuel delivery Cable in the correct position if I had to I could actually short the starter? You also forgot to tell me to make sure it's in neutral when I do this...lol. as far as the tires I'm having a big problem finding tires for it the 14 9x38 but apparently there's a place near the Florida border that has a set of used ones about 4 hours away for a decent price.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes the fuel shut off cable in right position and short starter and push starter lever, I think lol. And you should be sitting the seat with clutch the pedal depressed also when starting lol!

Didn't realize you had 38" rims, 30x16.9 are the common size for North American models.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/4/4/6440-ford-5000-diesel.html

I noticed that when I looked at the above site the rear tires on this are very large and almost hit the fenders it would probably be a better looking tractor with 30 inch rims and the matching tires not to mention cheaper. I wonder if this tractor was retrofitted by Ford or by the customer we may never know. So much for being all original....

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gandl2123 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:39:09 02/09/1Cool
Would you please send me some pictures of your tractor also I would like if you could to explain to me what some of the controls are on the left and right side and as you're sitting in the seat there are so many Libras and bars I have no idea. Also I want to start this tractor but I have no key and I'm not sure how to start it without a key. It looks as though somebody has put an alternator on this tractor and switch it over to 12 volt from its original 6 volt. That too is a little bit confusing.

I got this tractor off my uncle, he bought it new, it has done a terrific amount of work, I have had it for over forty years.
Amongst other things, after the dozers went through, he cleared over 4000 acres with this machine
Sometimes getting up to four punctures a day and that is with cover tires
This was in the sixtys
Being a farmer and not to clued, maintenance was close to zero
The fuel pump seized up twice to my knowledge, lack of oil
The front axle is not standard, it came off a international crane, the original axle housing broke
The engine is now us, needs rebuilding.
Its been a wonderful machine
Standard tires in Australia are 18.4 28
12v is standard
The long lever by your left foot is to engage the PTO and hydraulics if I remember correctly
hydraulics are live
The PTO is then engaged and disengaged by the lever at the rear but if the lever by your left foot Is not engaged the PTO will not drive
The lever by your left knee is the starter
cant get the photo to load, its on there but isnt loading

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I meant to say the hydraulics are live

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are the wrong rear wheels on it, they should be white and dished different.
I will have to look for the blade, haven’t seen it in a while

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

went looking for the blade, didnt find it but i did find the frame.
the frame is attached to the three point linkage.
to lift the blade, you lift the three point linkage.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow there's a whole lot of history there with that boy. Looks like he could use a full restore as well. I like the way that tire fits with that Fender where you can still get a fist in between there. My tire is way too tight on the fender. The one thing I like about the tractor that I have is all the sheet metal I don't think there's one dent anywhere. I just really don't have much use for a tractor I just would love to do the work and restore it and I can use it to drag my driveway.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could try tractor wreckers for 30 inch rims.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters