Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 5000 Super Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benj R
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is how the super majors looked when they came to Canada in 63&64 most had
16.9x30 rear tires,however other sizes could be ordered.

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

power steering, thats a bit flash
i did put power steering on mine when i changed the axle

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OMGosh tks for posting this. Got mine started tonight but won't stay running. Don't want to put ether in her but she fires right up but not getting fuel.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got some numbers here can anybody tell me what year this tractor is?

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went over tonight and I was able to swap out the old fuel for good diesel fuel I cleaned out the sediment bowl which was absolutely horrible I was able to take the fuel filter off it was also muddy horrible. The tractor fires right up and knocks a little bit on ether but it won't run on its own I don't understand the controls. I figured out the compression handle at the front of the head when it is down I'm getting full compression and she runs when it is up there is no compression then she just rolls over I don't know why this handle or this decompression handle would be part of this tractor or the proper way to use it. There is a choke looking lever on the right side of the front panel when I pull that it pulls a lever on the back of the injection pump. I don't know if this lever on the injection pump is to be in the forward position or the rear word position in order to run. The handle under the steering wheel which is the throttle I don't know if it is to be pushed away from me or near me or in the middle when I'm trying to start it. There is a small lever on the fuel pump itself I don't know what this is for unless it's some kind of prime mechanism nor do I understand how to use it. When the tractor was running on ether there was fuel coming out of the gasket area on the fuel pump couple turns on that bolt in the front of the fuel pump and that stopped. I'm really at a loss and don't know what to do I do not have a key to this tractor but power and jumping the starter solenoid as I hold down on the starter handle cranks the tractor over and it starts on ether it just won't run by itself on its own diesel. I'm going to go ahead and post a bunch of pictures I believe it's a 1963 64 as above maybe it's a Canadian model. I would love if I can find some kind of a manual or book that showed me what every single lever and handle and switch and cable does.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was able to get her started she fired right up on ether but then she shut down I had to set up at Bowl off I'm going to have to get a new fuel petcock it's barely letting any fuel come out of the tank the tank was terribly nasty smelling so I got rid of the old fuel cleaned out the sediment tank which look like a swamp cleaned out the fuel filter which look like a swamp and now I think I'm stuck with having maybe to somehow bleed the system and I don't know the procedure but she did fire right up and as long as I missed it the efer into her she just sat there and purred.

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to my info, she is December 1962

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice so does that make it a 62 model or does that make it like cars today and makes it a 63? Also if you don't mind what was your source of information? Or maybe even better if you could post a little picture of the book you're getting out of that shows the serial number range. Tks. Were these tractors only Built between 1961 and 64 or 1960 and 64? I was just a two-year-old toddler when this thing was put on the ground. Lol

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No 1 stop cable, needs to be all the way to the front to start, pull to the rear to stop.
No 2 accelerator lever, all the way to the front for full revs
No 3 fuel hand pump, this pump is used for bleeding the fuel system.
If the pump lever is on the top of the cam, the hand lever will not work very well if at all.
If you feel there is no resentence when operating the lever, turn the engine about ½ a turn and try again and if no look, turn it some more.
Loosen the bleeder Bolt on top of the filter and operate the fuel pump lever, it should pump fuel out.
When it dose, Tighten the bleeder
Then undo the bleeder bolts on the side of the injector pump, and pump fuel out of them.
Tighten the bleeder bolt
Then, undo the injector lines at the injectors, and crank the motor over on full throttle.
When you have fuel squirting out of the fuel lines, pull the stop cable and with the engine still cranking, make sure the fuel flow stops, if it doesn’t stop, don’t go any further.
If you cant turn the fuel off with the stop cable, then you cant stop the motor.
That’s how I do it, you do it at your risk

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice explanation of the details I think in point to that are two bolts won the input line and to the output line I'm going to leave the first one on the left first and then the second one on the right next work over to the pump I do understand about that stop lever I didn't know what that was supposed to be in or out. My 75 year old dad was telling me that it needed to be in to run and out to stop I don't know why I kept not believing him he was wrong I mean he was right in so many accounts. The cable is very sticky on the injector so I may just take that cable off and work it by hand if I need to but I do understand the need to see the fuel stop with the engine cranking also there's a lever on top of the valve cover in the front that cranks it over with no compression which will help in this process I think that's why it's there. Right now I don't have a key for it I am pulling the start lever to engage the starter and then I'm crossing the solenoid with a screwdriver and that's cranking it up just fine on either but until I bleed it it won't work on diesel. The fuel pump was screwing fuel out the side of it but I tighten up the front nut two or three turns and that went away I'm probably going to have to invest in a fuel pump rebuild kit with new gaskets for that thing about $13 out here. Thanks for your help now I know exactly what I need to do.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You did change the fuel filter and the oil in the injector pump?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters