Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 5000 Super Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention the decompression lever, I don’t think I have seen one my self
I believe it gets a bit cool in Canada, in the cool weather when the motor is hard to crank, you hold the lever in the decompression position crank the engine,
When the engine is up to revs you drop the lever and hopefully it will start.
It would be good to decompress the engine while cranking it to bleed the fuel also
As for your dad, I too am 75

brownsmule
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, hope you get your tractor started and sorted out. Additional information at fordsontractorpages.nl in England where this tractor was built. Brian is the man from the factory and can help you a bunch. Majors are built like a tank and can even handle a 6 cyl engine conversion. Best Regards brownsmule in NC

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rinsed filter out with clean diesel. Ordering one w new petcock valve and maybe new pump. I'm collecting all the filters and getting containers to drain fluids into.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will see if I got a picture of that lever it's actually pretty cool it makes it much easier on the battery to turn over much easier to bleed and like you said it would probably help started almost like you do with ATVs that have a decompression lever.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Notice right below the Twisted upper radiator hose is a lever in the down position this position gives full compression while cranking if you pick that lever up you can bleed the system with no compression and the battery just turn the engine right over.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not yet. ????

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not yet. ????

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grabbed this image from the net, the top mark is were you add oil, you fill to the other mark and the drain is the bolt below that.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice diagram. Thank you for posting.

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many quarts of oil does this tractor take on a change?

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8 quarts. Here's a manual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Super-Major-Manual/261441274587?hash=item3cdf1d42db:g:WbAAAOxydUJTOxxw

knares
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in JLMac picture, note the excess fuel button, this is for cold starting.
lever in full revs position, towards the front of the engine, then push the button in

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JLMac wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:59:56 02/14/1Cool I grabbed this image from the net, the top mark is were you add oil, you fill to the other mark and the drain is the bolt below that.

Had a nice book written and was scrapped due to not meeting some standard...OMG...I want to ...scream.

Bled system completely on low side. No leaks, bubbles and all is well.

Removed high side lines where they go into injectors, engaged decompression level and cranked over and over again. No fuel whatsoever.

Will check and see if throttle was in right pos but new stop cable was installed and cable was all the way forward. Tank full of fule.

Removed SIM Injector pump "valve / front cover from pump and all looked good inside...not rusty or dry. But, when cranking the engine the 2nd spring thing was not going up and down like the others. 1 2 3 4 from seat to radiator and number 2 was just looking at me.

Also the way I'm trying to start this tractor as I do not have a key is to push down on the starting lever while shorting out the solenoid. It starts and runs with starting fluid but will not run on its own. Do I need 12v current going to the injector pump or something? I'm under the impression that if I were to have high pressure diesel going into the cylinders with the stop cable in the correct position and good timing with good compression that this tractor would run...no need for the ignition switch to be employed. Right?

Please advise. Tks

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you change the fuel filter, did you open the fuel pump bleed screw on the injection pump? No need for 12V to pump. Should have throttle wide open when starting.

When bleeding injectors do one at a time, as soon as it gets fuel close it and do the rest the same.

Not sure what is going on with the plunger in your pump.

Hope this helps, good luck!

gandl2123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Super Major Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JLMac wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:27:37 03/08/1Cool Did you change the fuel filter, did you open the fuel pump bleed screw on the injection pump? No need for 12V to pump. Should have throttle wide open when starting.

When bleeding injectors do one at a time, as soon as it gets fuel close it and do the rest the same.

Not sure what is going on with the plunger in your pump.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Yes...fuel goes to sediment bowl then to in on fuel filter (New) IN side bled then OUT side bled then front of injector bled. Then cranked and should have seen fuel come out at high pressure....seems to be something with pump.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters