Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finally started on the mower

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Decided with the good warm weather may as well get started on the no.8. Sickle mower project today need to replace the pitman stick straighten the sickle bar itself and also make a hitch to attach the 3 point hitch of a modern tractor and get a new tire and then we can cut some hay

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several suggestions. Have someone make a few new pitmans and keep at least one on hand at all times. Hickory was always my favorite. Don't pass up on a belt driven mower, or even a side mounted mower. You'd fall in love with a side mounted....

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen one around here sickle mowers just don't exist I'd like a side mount I bet that would be nice to cut hay .the local bomgarrs supply has a whole big stock of pitmans in stock I'd like to find more of the ends so if one breaks I could just swap it out

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The mower doesn't have double guards on it like the new ones in the photo, does it? Aren't they singles?

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make a double guard for them now supposed to make them cut better

mschwartz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you ever make it up to SE Washington I would make you a good deal on a parts mower, main casting was broken when prior owner tried using it to pull a dead tractor by hooking to it. Looks like it was a good mower prior to that, wrong color for any of my projects.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ll take ya up on that if I ever make it the far from home

Brown Swiss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was looking at the bar and was wondering how you get the turtles on there? Seems to be missing the gearbox and the knives and the curtain over the top! LOL Just teasing!

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I had 10,000$ I?d have a new one a them sitting here but I still would be fixin the old sickle bar anyway

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any reason I can?t use a grass board from an ih mower on my John Deere ? I know where a new old stock ih one is

TBA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good
How do you like that Montizuma tool box?

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several years ago restored a #5 mower used it once to let all the new parts learn each other. Always liked this machine once adjusted they cut great and sound good doing it. Have fun with your rebuild.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to make a trip my way I have a #10 and a #50 side mowers bought them for parts to for the 350 3pt mowers,just bought a 350 for $200.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like the cutter bar has right much of a bow,when you're not using the mower stack 2 or 3 weights on the bow in the bar it'll help straighten it over time.

Briar Hill Brittanys
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SVcummins wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:34:06 02/02/1Cool I've never seen one around here sickle mowers just don't exist I'd like a side mount I bet that would be nice to cut hay .the local bomgarrs supply has a whole big stock of pitmans in stock I'd like to find more of the ends so if one breaks I could just swap it out

Keep an eye out for parts on eBay. Several straps on there now. Don't forget jdparts.com. It surprises me the parts they still stock for all my old stuff.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters