Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finally started on the mower

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot see a side mount working in hay as no way to make a clean 90 degree turn with them, you would have to raise bar circle to left and drop bar. The mower you have will if you get turn made correctly cut everything without raising the bar. As for the grass poard possibly depending on just how it is made at bolt to keep it from dropping down when bar is raised. There are new steel universal boards being made and used on both JD and IH and you can buy them cheaper than new old stock wood boards as those are wanted by people restoring a mower for show and therefore will pay a premium to get what they want.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did a Deere but that is the way I did for the second mower and first tractor mower I bought. It was an old COOP mower that was junk when I bought it and paid $20 for it back in mid 50's. Used it for several years. Worked best on 46 Deere B and had on Farmal H and Ferguson TO30.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least the knife ends are the same as the horse drawn mowers dating back to the 30's and are easy to get. Crank end is probably same but new after market are avaible as greasless units. All I would have to do for thoe parts is gi see my Amish friends and they would be way cheaper than any place else. The teeth for a hay rake are 2/3 price from Deere.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was just on John Deere parts and they still have parts for this mower

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one is in kinda rough shape but nothing that can?t be fixed

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one is a John Deere made buy mit it?s been a good one I had it in the back of truck when I hit a guard rail going 65 and it launched the tool box about 200 feet up the road the lid popped open and scattered tools across 4 lanes of traffic had to buy a new lid and it was good to go again

carvel minne farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Traditional Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:24:14 02/03/1Cool Looks like the cutter bar has right much of a bow,when you're not using the mower stack 2 or 3 weights on the bow in the bar it'll help straighten it over time.
agree with TF. put a 4x4 block under the end of the bar, pile on some weights while your doing the other repairs.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The grass board I?m thinking of is in the basement of an old farm store that is now a clothing and junk store they also have some sickles and other stuff that most people don?t even know exists they even had an nos blacksmith share for an ih Plow

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve got some extra John Deere weights around
here I think I?ll do just that

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Is there any reason I can?t use a grass board from an ih mower on my John Deere ?"

None.

You might consider building a grass board.

Take a look at the photos below.

Take a look at the photo below of the measurements.

Hope this helps.

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just make sure they are made for a cutter bar with the same thickness as yours. The depth in the cut-out of the guard has to match the bar thickness. The cutter bar thickness on my Farmall is 5/8 inch. I found some green generic guards with a "700" stamped on them that fit it.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was still at home I had to mow with a JD belly mower. I just hated it. Could not turn a square corner. It was slow, 1st gear wide open, mounted on a JD tractor any faster and you ran over hay, even with a brand new sickle. Your gonna have a nice old mower there.

carvel minne farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SVcummins wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:10:53 02/02/1Cool Is there any reason I can?t use a grass board from an ih mower on my John Deere ? I know where a new old stock ih one is
why not? might have to rig up a stop to keep it from falling down to far when you pic the bar up, but should be easy.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that I may try building one

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Made a little more progress on the mower today found a tire out back that is the right size for the tail wheel came of a pos 855 round baler at least finally I'll get a little money back off that thing. Got the mower hitched up tomorrow I'll take the weight of the cutrerbar and see how much or if I end up needing to raise the bar a hair more to bend it more now I'm on the hunt for some 3x4 x 7/8 shaft to make the power line a little longer

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters