Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finally started on the mower

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you really intend to use that ( I used a similar model for years) then go through now and replace the pins in the knife head, make sure the holes aren't wallowed out, add new wear plates and get your lead dialed in before you even begin to worry about mounting it. Any play in the unit is going to mean clogs when you need to be cutting hay.

The Amish around us use haybine guards on their sickle mowers.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are mounting it a full 2 feet too far back for it to work good. It will be like the tail wagging the dog, no control when you try to turn. Find a correct hitch and your shaft will be fine. With it set up like that you are jusk looking for an accident too happen.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was going to go that route but one of the claws is broken off I will keep watching for a new piece

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the tire changed cleaned up the rim the old tube was still good but the tire was easy to remove as soon as I put the ol tire spoon to the bead the whole bead ripped right off somewhere in the darkness I must have punctured the tube so I think I?ll take it to town with me and let the tire guy fix it . The wheel bearings look good ang still had good grease in em . I greased the mower and surprisingly all the zerks took grease removed the weights from the cutter bar and the bow is a little less than before but I ended up raising the bar another 2 inches as suggested and we?ll see what that does . Went to bomgarrs and they will have a new knife for the ol mower next week for 125$ . Checked the play in the pins where there cutter bar hooks the mower frame and there is zero play at all . The next job on this will be a new pto shaft and replace the pitman the guards and knife and see what it sounds like running

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sv take that tire in with you when you go to the tire shop and keeping a straight face on ask what they'll give you for trade in Laughing

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or see if they have a boot big enough to fix it 😂😂

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say you were lucky in finding a tire as the No. 8 came with an 8" tire while earlier model No. 5 used a 9" tire.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always like it when I find something in my spare parts big that?ll work it?s a 4.80 8 and it has traction instead of smooth but I suppose this isn?t a museum quality restoration so I guess it?ll be ok

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the tire fixed wheel bearings packed . Still need 8 more guards and get the new knife got the pitman stick put together . Found a piece of 3/4 7/8 shaft to make the drive line off eBay 46$ free shipping local metal suppliers swore it never existed ! Been at Napa all day trying to get new u joints couldn?t match em which is ok already checked jd parts .com they are cheaper than Napa for the right part . Next I need to get the hydraulic ram on

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to the dentist today and made a trip to town to get the rest of the guards took the cutter bar off going to put er in the ol hydraulic press and get er straight. Also shimmed the hitch solid

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just when you try to move it just watch that you do not put the front end of the tractor thru the shop wall when it will not let you turn with it hanging way too far out back. But shop wall is better than a ditch or pond. At least you would not be taking a bath completely under water that you could not get your head above.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor weighs just over 9000 pounds I hope it can handle an 560 pound mower

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe someday a mower will come to the scrap yard and I can a new claw this one is broken off at the bolt holes

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the cutter bar straight as an arrow now just waiting on driveshaft material and the new knife

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally started on the mower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not weight of mower but quick pull on end of bar like you cought a tree.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters