Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

McCormick model 21

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi
Just bought an McCormick model 21. It's in very good condition. I
can find NO informative on it anywhere. Do see a few manuals from
the late 50s on eBay. Was hoping someone here might know about
them. Thank you for any help

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model 21 WHAT? tillage, harvestor or power?

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not familiar with writing a post but it's a manure spreader.
I can't seem to find any model 21s on line. I was interested in it's worth , bussel size , weight , how to know what speed at , what to look for on maintenance , etc.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You were looking at it so you knew what you were thinking but out here we just are not mind readers. That is a common thing for posters to be doing forgeting others do not know what things are by model numbers. It is like somebody asking about there tractor that is a Model B, so is it a JD or AC or a IHC as all had model B tractors. The poster is looking at it so he does not think about others not seeing it so guessing and hitting things correctly is a gamble. I myself had no idea of anything carring that model number. Just remember the more information you gan give the better So is it a 2 wheel or 4 wheel unit, ground drive or PTO powered, all information that might help. Do not worry about making too long of a post you leave something out. Learned a lot on here in 19 years. Just takes time.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your patience. Yes new to a discussion forum and very limited knowledge of tractors or implements. But yes it is an IH McCormick Model 21. There are owners manuals for such a creature on EBAY saying copyright 1955 or 1957 I can't remember which but if important I can google it again. The spreader is ground driver with two large wheels. It is a pin hitch but We do feel the hitch has been replaced everything else looks original.. I've searched the internet but can find no other information other than an users manual and a Pricture stating it was of an tractor loading an IH McCormick spreader model 21. It says the right side of the unit IH McCormick Model 21. That is all the information I had on this spreader
ni

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the manual I found on line. Does say original copy right date 2/28/1957. Says no restoration can be complete without this manual.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it's pretty much a tractor drawn, wood sided version of the Model 200. About the same size too. What size chain does the manual say it takes? If you see type "S" mentioned, be aware thats a special order thing these days. Commen "67" flat link won't work and you'll bust things...just like I did!

Embarassed

FYI- the tires are on backwards.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It apears to be about what would be called a 95 bushel size acording to Deere. I think the New Idea that compairs would have been called a 90 bushel size. As for operation speed how fast do you walk? About the speed of a draft horse and that was the speed spreaders were designed for altho the will work god at 1.5 times the horse speed. Just don't go to 3 or more times horse speed. A lot of older tractors horse speed was equal to low gear but some tractors it was equal to second gear. But you do not have to use that low of a gear just keep throttle mostly closed as long as you have the power to pull it. And 2 draft horses will handle a spreader of that size.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL about the tires .. I of course have no idea ( did I mention I'm a 54
old female? No knowledge). I bought it from my friend who also has
no idea , who bought from someone that only knew to grease it I
guess no one knew about tires. Does it matter ? And how does one
know they're backwards ??
I don't have the owners manual to know anything about the chains/
which I did guess to be a potential problem. I am going to buy a
manual off eBay. Hope it's the correct one
I did read your post about the broken chain / it did worry me. But I'm
hoping I can find help through here and a good machine shop

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm coming from a mill creek 25. Old and way past updated. It was hard to get the correct rollers and some gears bearings. Or the people at mill creek were not as knowledgeable as they claimed. The mill creek rusted out to the point of not really being able to do much with for repair. Replacing was cheaper.
This spreader belonged to a friend. Neither of us know / knew it's worth but she said it worked great n it was cheaper than fixing the old spreader. After getting it I started trying to research more on it. Since I can find no information online I started to worry that it might be the last of its kind and I was just using it for poop. LOL. I see so many places wanting them for restoration n collector pieces not to use.
I'm not using a tractor to pull it ( nor a draft horse ). But using a Kubota 500 ( which is a side by side unit ). I was concerned about it being to heavy for the Kubota. Last night I had it around half way full and the Kubota seemed to have no problem pulling it. I do see your advice of low gear and thank you , I'll use low on it too.
Any advice on maintaining it better ?? Thank you for any and all help ! Smile

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought an old PTO drive McCormick spreader (similar to yours) last year at an auction. The floor chain was broken and several floor slats had been patched very poorly. Because it was not operating and had one broken side board I only paid $600 for it. It is now repaired and would likely bring $1500 at the same auction....but it is a PTO version. Based on your photos the beater mechanism looks similar to your ground drive version. Seems like mine is a model 25 but the decals are about gone. I welded a new jack on the tongue to make it easier to take off and rehook.

If you need parts I would try Messicks in PA. I am lucky to have a local farm store that had all the floor apron parts and fabricated new floor slates out of angle iron. My hired man is good at reassembling rough repairs. These are not complex machines, common sense, and a big hammer will fix most things on it EXCEPT the gearbox. Be sure it is full to the line with the proper oil.

As for size, mine is a good big spreader and will haul a big load of horse poop. By the time it is full, the stall cleaner is ready for a rest. With a ground drive spreader picking the right time to spread is critical (frozen or very dry) to keep from tearing up the fields.

Good luck. They seem to be well built spreaders.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi and thank you for replying
How often do you use your spreader ? Do you put manure in it every day and dump it every day ?? Do you put manure in it but only dump it once full ? My old spreader was much smaller and was usually full at the end of each day. This spreader one days worth of manure only fills it about 1/4.
You mentioned picking the speed of the spreader ( I am guessing you mean the adjustable beater speed n not how fast you drive ??) what notch is neeeded for regular manure ? I live in North Fl so frozen manure isn't usually a problem.
I don't have an handy men etc. so I need to keep this from breaking down as much as possible. I'm guessing getting it fixed will be a bit difficult. It seems everything is original so I guess they must hold up. Mine does also have a jack welded to it.
I do worry about all those gears and chains 🙈 There is a gear box I have to find and fill ?! LOL oh dear. !!
I did learn about the tires and mine are definitely on backwards. I'll have to look into finding someone swap them around. Since I don't have a trailer that large ... will have to work on that ..
Again thank you for your help

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ground drive should not have a gear box, only the PTO models. For your other question how much does the manure settle and pack down if it sets for a few days? if it does not settle and pack wating will not make buch difference. Only thing will be it getting too heavy for your outfit to pull. Power + traction. I think you need a smaller spreader or something bigger to pul it

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi and thank you
The manure is not compacting super tight I don't think. Since I'm able to spread it across a larger area of the box and pack it down to get it to fit. It does look that it might be getting jammed tween the chain apron and the wall. Since I've only been able to dump it at night since I've gotten it , I might not be rolling the apron enough times around the box to get it all out. I can't see it until I get it back to the barn. I will see more on that this weekend. The spreader in kept pretty much out of the weather. It's under a large porch of my barn

There are several notches on the wheel of the arm that locks the beaters and paddles. These notches control the " speed " of which the beaters n paddles turn (??) where do I want these set ?? I could understand the chain apron needing control for what's on it ( less drag ) but I don't understand the beater n paddle speed.
I tend to think you're right I need a smaller spreader but can't afford one. I was supper lucky to find this / it's super how it actually cuts the manure n hay up before throwing it. My old one only had paddles on just slung it. Worked okayish. Needed rain or moving to remove the manure puds. With this machine it's way more effective with the "pods "

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are loading horse manure with lots of bedding mixed in and it is under roof so the rain is not soaking it and compacting it and you are down south so it is not freezing solid, you should be able to fill it for several days before you unload it. Eventually the wet manure setting in it will rot the floor. Painting the floor with waste oil or diesel fuel and parking it in the sun to soak in preserves the floor.

I can't give you any advice on the speed setting since a PTO spreader works very differently.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters