Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

McCormick model 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another thought. Don't spread the manure very thick or it will kill the grass. So I would set it at a slow floor speed, and drive further to spread it, rather than a fast floor chain speed which would empty the spreader faster but put it on the ground thicker.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So paint the floor and inside walls with waste oil or diesel fuel ......this is a more efficient method that protective paint ?? Wouldn't waster motor oil or diesel fuel be an fire hazard??
It is completely under a roof with only wall not enclosed. But the unit is a always from there.
I checked the specs on my Kubota 500. It is rated to pull 1200 pounds. It also has four wheel n two wheel drive : has high , reverse , and liow ,,, it also willl allow me to look the differential in.....I'm reallyyyy hoping it will be okay !!! So far it has but I've no where loaded iit full. If necessary I do have a large dodge 3500. Smile
Any idea of ideas for protecting the chain . Slats and gears ??? Thank you so much

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil soaks into the wood. I've never worried about fire. Paint will just flake off. You might try deck oil or thompson's water seal if it makes you more comfortable.
Kubota 500...ATV? Whoa!!!! The tongue weight could be a serious problem. When my spreader is full to the brim...3 stalls...it puts a lot of load on the tractor drawbar. Best you use the pickup, rather than break the rear axle or frame of the ATV. Just my opinon,...The ATV guys can give you better info on that.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be no speed adjustment on beater or wide spred paddles, only on the web that carrys the load to the beaters, If you cannot see how it is cleaning out carry a good flash light with you to check at different times.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't worry about the "fire hazard" of the waste oil. Unless you intend to park the spreader over a camp fire that is! It isn't going to make a singling solitary bit of difference if the thing catches fire. I'd spread the days manure since you aren't using a tractor designed to pull heavy weights. Better to spread a little more often than to bust the ATV (that would be my big concern) or the spreader. You spend an hour unloading a spreader by hand so you can get to that broken apron chain and you'll know what I mean. That particular spreader style does a good job on bedding with the double shredder set up. And they tend to spread very evenly too. As far as the tires, there probably isn't much real world difference as far as what you're doing. Traditionally, the tires would have the open part of the "V" facing forward when they contact the ground in a ground driven implement using bar tread tires.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is definitely a lever that adjust speed of rollers with teeth and the beaters ( paddles ). There are 8 notches for that lever.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no setting for floor speed. That would be dictated by the speed you drive the until pulling the spreader. The speed level if for spinners and beaters. I've talked to a few people and no one is quite sure why though we guess it has to do how wide out it probably throws the pattern. In the past what I've done is throw a cup of grass seed in with every few manure bucket loads. Sometimes I'll also use lime. Being in such a sandy soil makes grass harder to grow and even harder to sustain.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds like the lever for the web and not for the beater, slow down beater and it does not have power enough to tear out the manure and spreade it. The beater is only supposed to have the 2 notches fof enguaged or not enguaged. If there is notches on lever for beaters somebody did some messing up the spreader.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is definitely an arm that not only turns the spinner/beaters / paddles ( which ever you want to call them) on and off but it also has eight notches into which you can set the lever. The other lever has only an on and off notch. This lever locks or unlocks the apron. Of course the speed of the apron is controlled by how fast you pull it.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lets see a picture of where the are mounted with those notches as I think at one time some body destrowed that part of the spreader and used pices that were not what was supposed to be to repair.

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The arm with the notches in the dial definitely lock and unlock the beaters n etc. I was told and do guess those notches are settings for the beaters. The arm with the dial that only has two notches definitely locks and unlocks the apron.
They look original or at least off the same spare parted machine and replaced at the same time. I can see nothing to indicate there were different dials

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are photos

Solo498
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't get this site to allow me to add photos. I choose the pictures and it says begin uploads , has the selected pictures below but I can't find how to upload them. I'm not sure if it's me or there is an issue with the site. I can not remove my post either. Says editing is temporary turned off. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. You can email me if you want , I'll send them you. I don't believe this spreader has been changed butttttt I honestly don't know
Solo498 @ Comcast . Net

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: McCormick model 21 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody has switched the quadrant (Dials) then as the apron is supposed to be the multiple notches and it cannot work as should with only 2 notches, that way you only have full speed that is only supposed to be used to do a final cleanout of bed after you shut beaters off because they will keep when it gets to end rooling the manure back to keep the bed from ever getting empty. With a heavy manure load you start out the web in slowest speed, a lite load you can start out in medium speed. And final cleanout fastest speed. And if you try to slow beaters then it puts too much load on them to break things. I have opened my email on classic, don't know if it will be open on modern. I do not have a parts book for that spreader and it is too old to still be on Merssicks site to get it so I cannot see how things are supposed to be bolted together but I do know the beaters are only supposed to be 2 notches, one off and the second running. And on all the ground drive spreaders I have seen and that is quite a few the lever that puts the beaters in gear just drops a chain down on a big sprocket on the axle and that chain can only work if it is fully meshed up with the teeth on the sprocket. Sounds like when it was assembled the left piece was switched with the right piece to get what you have. I do know something is not put together corectly from what you are saying.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters