Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to get ready to fix up an AOS-6 (Australian Orchard Special) was a modified W-6 with an AC-248 engine. Introduced June 3, 1953, it was built until July 1959.
I can find some info on the Tractor, but have had no luck so far sourcing an engine manual for the AC-248, any suggestions as the engine is very seized at the moment.

Tom Dowling
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pretty sure that's the same engine as in a "m"

Redturbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of that looks like a SW6, same emblem on grill, same frame rails. But rear half looks a lot different, rear rims & the 3 point hitch! That's so cool, wish tractors of the era that were built south of the 49th had that. What size are the front rims? Assuming the tractor has a belly pump to run the 3pt hitch? Never seen one of those on an orchard or W series tractor over here. Binder books is great place to get manuals from, that's were I get them from.

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SW6 is the American made version of this Tractor I believe.

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does that mean the M series had an AC-248 engine in there? That might make getting a manual for easier.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont have my books in front of me, Ive stored all of that, but it should be the same as the AM engine, but Im also wanting to
say you should have the "Super" 264 engine, not the 248, but I could be wrong on that. Cant recall the change over date.

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can any one suggest a visual difference between the 2 engines?

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only have online pictures to go buy, but the 264 inlet manifold seems much smaller than on my tractor

Athol Carr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The AOS-6 had the same engine as the AW-6. the three point cylinder is horizontal fore and aft under the top of the transmission cover. the hydraulic pump on the early ones, at least, was the Farmall M pump behind the clutch.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post the serial # or pic of it. that tells lot of the story.it will also tell you if its the super model. those super tractors hit the end of the line in 1954. plus this one has the distillate shield on the manifold. no super model had that. plus the supers had the 264 engine and some could be 281 as i have one. it has the channel frame like a super. and has the super emblem. brakes should be disc not band also. exhuast should not be going through hood on an orchard model. lots of parts may have been added to this tractor from other w6's. who knows. i do know the governor throttle lever coming out of governor housing is not the same on an M. M is down w6 is up. are the rear tires 30" or 26" , they look like 26" the fronts on super's have a different hub. this one has weights and appears like the standard hubs. but yes get a serial # and go from there. you will need it also when looking for info.

Redturbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got out my IH Geelong Works book by SJ Galloway. Forgot a lot of the info in the book. The first Australian tractor was made on April 15/1948. On the grill is the IH emblem like Super's over here have, so they came out with that 5yrs earlier. All Australia built tractors from 1948 to 1965 that ran on Kerosene use that manifold. So the manifold in question is correct for a tractor built there. Orchard tractors built from 52 to 59 use the AC-248 engine. No info is listed about when cast tub change to frame rails thou. Rear tires(tyres) are 13 x 26. Fan shroud is deeper, cast iron oil pans, aluminum serial tags are some of the differences. The Super AW6 got the bigger engines like ours.

Athol Carr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My copy of the owners manual show that the standard was distributor ignitions, standard kerosene AC248 engine.

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you.
the alloy tag is hard to read but I believe the numbers are:
AOS6 SAOS6503

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Posted above

Michael QLD OZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing up an IH AOS-6 made in Australia Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally got back for another look at the tractor. Ive never worked on a magneto before, any tips?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters