Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

F-4 Mag is close ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know- you guys are tired of this post- bare with me...Im really close- (I think.) The points "snap" about 3/4" past "D-C".... or between D_C and E-O; whatever that is? Then, after the E-O is a 1.0 ........ Is my timing right?

Brownie450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EO used to be exhaust open.
Might be something else now.
Jim

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use those two bolts on the mag coupler and get it closer to D. C. back the mag up a couple holes and try that. if you would do the screw driver thing it will tell you where the piston is when mag fires. get it to fire with lever just off the stop position with piston at tdc. if your firing as piston is going down your timing is too late, as in the 3/4" your talking about.

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok...will do tomorrow.....I hope...full day again...but I dont want it to "snap" before....right.?

DC Snider
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The E-O is "Exhaust Open", then other mark you're seeing is actually I-O, "Intake Open"

I agree with rustred, remove the two bolts and back the mag up a couple holes and try it again.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with advance lever up get it to fire pretty much at d.c. then once it is running you have the lever to advance timing. remember to have lever not quite to the top as top is engine kill. thought it was running already.

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well ok....my book says "lever all the way to top(retard timing) when setting mag..... but either way should work ?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is correct, but u wont see the spark when lever is fully up, not a big deal as i have said to do the timing with lever up , but too many giving instructions and gets a person side tracked. i have been setting these mags for over forty years and had to learn it on my own from trial and error.never did look in a manual for the first one i tackled. i like to have it just off full retard position so i can see the spark.

F-Dean
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What ever happened to TDC? I thought it was key to timing.
PS: TDC = Top Dead Center

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well- unless I have it all wrong... there is NO TDC...on the flywheeel...only D-C

C Fitz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't even mess with the marks on flywheel. Get #1 piston on compression stroke, get a flashlight and slowly crank as it is coming to top. As it just gets to top, or TDC or dead spot , the mag should snap. If it does you're timed. If a little before or after you'll have to pull the little 1/4-20 adjusting screws, disengage the paw and spin a little one way or other til you get it right. Retard lever I like to keep almost all way up. It's a good learning experience but once you get it you'll see how easy it is.

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: F-4 Mag is close ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you....I get out to the tractor soon....Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters