Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Swapping PTO Soon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I'm expecting the new PTO assembly for the 8N tomorrow, and once I'm through digging out from under the approaching storm that's working its way across the Midwest ATM I aim to drain all the fluid from the trans/pump/rear end reservoir and install the new assembly. I've been researching the task here on the forum and found a couple threads regarding how to go about it and what type of fluid to use. After all the work I've performed recently in an effort to correct the years of neglect from the PO I figure it's highly likely I'm going to find a thick layer of sludge at the bottom of the reservoir. As such I am looking for any tips on cleaning it all out before I reassembly everything, (and any other tips in regards to the job at hand), from those who have been there and done that. Thnx, Mark

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mcharley94,If there is a bunch of sludge in there it is best to drop the pump and get it all cleaned out. Do it right one time and not have to do it again next year.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my 8N, the sludge was thick that I could see a groove where the control valve moved back and forth. We had to take the top cover off anyway since the control rod was bent in a curve. Once we did that, my son and I decided that it would not be much more work to drop the pump. I'm glad I did as it was much easier to get the sludge out of the rest of the compartments with the PTO and pump both removed.

It may depend on how bad the sludge is.

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcharley94 wrote:
As such I am looking for any tips on cleaning it all out before I reassembly everything

As others advised, it's best to bite the bullet and give it a thorough cleaning. It will give you better access to pull the lift cover as well as the pump.

If you're under a time crunch, I would follow Soundguy's method:

Drain oil overnight and add 3 gals kerosene, 2 qts ATF, 4 pints 90% rubbing alcohol. Cycle the hydraulics once then exhaust to clear anything in the pump that might be hanging around. Disengage the PTO and make a few low speed laps around driveway. Then drain and refill with new oil.

Theory is the kerosene makes it dump fast and dissolve most emulsion it finds. The detergents in the ATF will suspend any crud it can and the alcohol will evaporate any water in the system.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For info on changing the hydraulic fluid, check out tips 3 & 4 at the link below.

Resist the temptation to save 5 minutes by parking it nose down in a ditch instead of draining the fluid. The front transmission seal was not designed to be totally immersed in oil. If it's defective, you will fill the bell housing with oil and then you will get to replace the clutch.

With all of the fluid drained out, block the front wheels & get the rear wheels up at least a foot. (you'll see why soon enough) Remove the 4 bolts holding the PTO shaft in & pull it to the rear & out of the tractor. Loosen all of the bolts. Remove all but 2 corner bolts. Then, carefully remove them. If you are lucky, the pump will drop free (and dump a pint or so of hydraulic fluid down your sleeves). If not, wrestle it free. The pump has 'ears' that fit into the housing; wiggle it a bit & it will drop free. If you have the rear tires a foot or more off of the ground, you will have enough arm room to hold the pump & lower it at the same time. Put it on your work bench & remove the safety valve (p/n 638) and the control arm lever (p/n 643) which will allow you to remove the intake & exhaust valves (p/n's 640 & 698) Drop all of it in a bucket of diesel (or mineral spirits) or your parts washer & let it soak overnight. Once it has a good soaking, get it on the bench & start blowing it out w/ compressed air. Run cleaning fluid into the hydraulic discharge near the test port & make sure you get a good flow out the small hole in the side of the pump were the control valve fits. I don't see much need to pull it down any further just to clean it. But, I always replace the safety valve (p/n 638, about $25) Reinstalling the pump is harder than pulling it out because you have a gasket to worry about. (no sealer on the gasket) And, you will probably need a helper to guide the control rod into the pump rocker shaft unless you've done this 6 or 7 times before!

Put some grease on the new pto seal.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, not a lot of water gets in the oil from the shifter boot. Of course, if it's bad, replace it, but you get water from the draft control spring & the dipstick. But, most water is just a byproduct of the heating/cooling cycle of the oil. I've seen the pictures of an experiment to test the 'leaky shifter boot' theory. With no shifter boot installed, a lot of water was poured over the transmission cover sitting over a 5 gallon bucket. Result? No water in the bucket.

You'll need a pump gasket, safety valve, inspection plate gasket(s), PTO seal, PTO gasket, gasket sealer & 5 gallons of fluid to do all of the above.
75 Tips

mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Hell, Bruce...you just answered damn near every question I was attempting to ask while composing a post in another tab (and then some), i.e. any required gaskets/seals, whether or not this can be accomplished on my own, etc. (and just to clarify, I had no plans of parking it in a ditch, but I appreciate the advice none the less Wink ). No, my intentions are to do this particular job once and be done with it, which is why I made this inquiry in the first place. That and I am trying to heed the wisdom Tim PloughNman Daley initially shared with me in my other thread and do a little homework first before jumping into the job. Sadly, of those still alive within my small circle of friends I am basically the only one left with any mechanical abilities/interests, and as such I am pretty much a one man band when it comes to getting bloody knuckles and grease under my fingernails. TY for taking the time to compose such a detailed explanation of the task ahead. It would be handy if there were a u-tube video related to dropping the pump...I'll have a look.

Dollar Bill, I was wondering what to use to assist in cleaning the reservoir. Soundguy's concoction seems to fit the bill well, but if I do drop the pump I will probably use just straight kerosene? and most likely a good amount of elbow grease as well. My only concern here is that I am heating my 24x30 garage with a vent-less propane heater and I am worried about adding more flammables into the mix. As it is I cleaned the entire exterior of the engine off with some white gas I had left over from my camping days, (along with a toothbrush, gasket scraper, small pick, and a boat load of paper towels), but it was just a smidgen warmer out that week and I was careful to only use a minimal amount at a time in a jar and vent the garage occasionally.

So it appears the unanimous vote thus far it to, at the very least, drop the pump and clean it as well while I'm at it, which I tend to agree with...just a little concerned about disassembling it, as you suggest, Bruce. As is the case with just about anything mechanical that I've done in life, aside from a few years of agriculture and auto mechanics in high school I am pretty much self taught so tackling the unexplored can be a bit intimidating that first time. I have to say though, with the help of those here who have been kind enough to chime in I have learned a great deal about 8N's thus far, and I am sure the lessons will continue so long as I still own it.

davyfireball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad if he was still alive. I can hear him now. He would say if you can't eat off it -- You can't put it back together.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not use anything special to get the sludge out. I just dug and scraped with whatever fit. Once it was pretty clean, I just kept wiping at it with paper towels. Your mileage may vary.

mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

davyfireball wrote:
My dad if he was still alive. I can hear him now. He would say if you can't eat off it -- You can't put it back together.

LOL, yeah I wish my dad was still around too. He worked as a mechanical balance engineer for nearly 60 years (as if it were any wonder where I get my ayenal retentiveness from Rolling Eyes) He was employed by GM until he retired around 70 yrs of age, and then contracted himself out to them until he was almost 90! I know he would find all of this interesting.

Thanks for the input, Jim. We'll see how bad it is once I get in there and go from there.

So while we are on the subject of hydraulics...while out plowing the snow (again) I figured I should ask this of y'all... What do you make of this? I have not even attempted to open the valve and it's not really in my way, but I can just see my pant leg getting caught on it sometime in the future. My uneducated guess is that it was used for some sort of implement in the past? What's your take?

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The fitting that screws into the aluminum pump housing is kind of an odd thread or I would recommend you remove the entire stand pipe. As it is, you could remove the elbow by the valve and cap it off.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It had a loader on it, plumbed off the test port.

That pump port is threaded 1/2-20 straight thread. You can buy a straight thread port fitting or you can make one from a 1/2-20 bolt. Or, check w/ The Old Hokie and see if he still sells the really nice test port gauge fitting.
The Old Hokie

mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, TY for the replies. I was thinking front loader but figured I'd see what others had to say. I'll probably remove it completely and put a plug in it. Apparently UPS is holding the new PTO assembly and ORC hostage due to the recent snow, and with more expected 2moro it's likely I won't see it till mid week, which is fine.

I bought 5 gal of TSC Premium UTF today in preparation. Saw they also had something called Renew? for older tractors for more $, but I wasn't buying into it. Also something called Super Trac for like $19, but again probably not suitable so I decided to stick with what was recommended here for my zone. I did check the fluid level again today and it actually looks very clean (PO must have had our local mutual mechanic change it recently). I was thinking it seemed thin but after reading the label on the UTF I bought , maybe not? Guess I expected it to be thicker. It is a bit over full too....he probably put the full 5 gallons and never looked back. Might explain why the PTO seal leaks, but I haven't seen anything drip from the cotter key thus far. Maybe I'll get lucky and the reservoir won't be all that bad? We shall see.

I finished wiring all the lights today on a 3 position switch (fronts and tail on one, and in the second position an added rear work light). When all are on the amp meter drops into the negative at lower RPMs, but guessing that is to be expected. I plowed earlier when it was still daylight so I haven't really put it to the test yet, although I couldn't resist taking a quick buzz up and down the drive once in the dark just to see how they worked...not as bright as I'd like but it is 6 volt I guess. Better than what it had, which was nothing.

mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, apparently UPS was to afraid to drive down my road today...not sure why, I went out twice. Needless to say the PTO assembly is still not here. That didn't stop me from draining the fluid and pulling the old PTO. I'll be damned if I could break loose the main plug on the pump...drained it pulling a bolt next to it instead. I was able to get the one under the trans off though, but it took just about all I had in me to do so. What tool do y'all use to break em' loose?

Anyways, here is a shot of the inside of the rear end. Doesn't seem all that bad to me. I felt around the inside of the trans drain as well and it felt clean there too.

mcharley94
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is kinda scary though. No leaks, but WTH!

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping PTO Soon Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcharley94 wrote:
This is kinda scary though. No leaks, but WTH!

Those cracks could have been in the mold when casting the aluminum. It may be hard to see with the pump installed but the tell of the tale is whether the fissures are visible on the top side of the casting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters