Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sherman install

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In case there's interest here's a pictorial of the Sherman install that consumed a bit of time over the past few days -

I have a TO30 that needed engine work that necessitated pulling the engine - I had scored an Sherman combination 3-4 years ago off of eBay and had cleaned it up, inspected, and procured a few minor items (shims and gaskets and a seal) in case this day would ever come -

engine pulled, I went ahead and removed the steering pedestal, starter mechanism, brake and clutch cross shafts, and input shaft to clear the area - nasty oily (leaking rear main seal on the engine) - I later went ahead and pulled the shift cover so I could see what was going on with the preload on the bearing

a quart of kerosene and half a can of brake cleaner later and the area was fit to work in

The mounting flange and shims and gasket - to make a long story short, I didn't need the shims and I also made a gasket out of thin material to get the input shaft acceptably close to the bearing

flange installed and Sherman about to be bolted into position

after a couple of times in and out I tightened things so to locate the shifter hole - I was worried about this aspect, large holes in heavy metal is a weak point in my skill set -

I used a bit of angle iron and machinist square to locate the center of the hole

removed the transmission again and drilled a pilot hole and then went with a bimetal hole saw

I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward/easy it was - I cleaned up the hole with a grinder, shot a bit of gray primer on the area and put the Sherman back in position - I'm satisfied with the result

for future reference, this hole is centered at 2-7/16" down from the pedestal machined surface and 14-1/8" forward of the transmission flange

filled with GL-1, new seal on the input shaft, shifter in position - the Sherman and the piece it replaced -

tomorrow I'll put the starter (needs work) and cross shafts back - also trying to move ahead on the engine...

el6147
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Gl-1 that you used was what brand and what weight? and where did you purchase it?
email is also open. thanks

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA has it in quarts, gallons, and 5 gallon buckets - I did a good clean and refurbishment of the trans/hydraulic/rear end two years ago and used this fluid in those reservoirs -

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

el6147
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I,m looking for 140, I checked at Napa about a year ago and was told that 140 was not
available. thanks

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures:

I own a TEA-20 and have a Sherman to install someday:

Bob...

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-el6147 wrote:
I,m looking for 140...

Have you checked with John Deere? I used to get that sort grease there to lubricate the rollers on a 40 crawler

el6147
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

exactly what I need it for , I think I checked once with John Deere.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear John Deere 'corn head grease' mentioned sometimes as a thick flowable oil for use in places like steering gear boxes where seals have deteriorated and lighter lubricants leak out - -

have you the special gun with fitting that is used for those crawler rollers?

el6147
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes its the Lincoln gun, Would prefer to stay with GL1, that is what I've always used and I
have no leaks. I have located a place that can get it for me in a 5 gal bucket, it's just
that it is about a 120 mile round trip for me. Thanks

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good. Did you also install a rubber grommet at the hole?

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
Did you also install a rubber grommet at the hole?

I have not, but it is on the 'incidentals' list - I'm not sure where to find one that will fit, it would need to be wide to cover the casting thickness - I'll see what the local hardware offers, maybe take two and glue them together, or just cut the lip off one side and glue it to the case from the outside - dunno -

have you a suggestion?

David

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hit the link
link

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about that? - never would've guessed that item was available and labeled as such - thanks
David

Boss Hog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman install Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you already purchased the oil?

I use 15W40 in my tractor. Doesn't get as thick in cold weather.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters