Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Things that last and are used often!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In today's world too many things are just short term things. The quality of much of what we buy is low so things do not last very long. The term "built in obsolescence" should be outlawed. LOL

Used something that has held up over time. Presto electric griddle. I know it is over fifty years old. We bought it early in my first marriage. This allowed us to fix some food in the little room we lived it without going into the main house. I remember that we "saved" up the $20 buck or so over a few week period to buy it. A lot of grilled cheese sandwiches made on it over that time. Two of my younger grandsons where over today and I played baby sitter. They wanted grilled cheese and ham sandwiches. So Grand Pa cooked them some.

It is really kind of amazing that some thing that simple works well and lasts so long. I looked them up and they cost just a little more today. I wonder if the new ones would hold up as well???

Thinking about it I still have the crock pot we bought a little later. I gave it to my daughter as it was a bigger one than my wife and I need now. That really made meals happen. Lots of roast and potatoes/carrots, dried beans and dumplings, stews of all types, All good simple meals.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My mom has a refrigerator that my dad picked up back when we lived in Kansas and he got it for free. It was old when he got it back in the 60s the old round off top one and it is still working and I was probably around 5 or 6 so it stands a good chance of being as old or older then I am

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad had on old Westinghouse fridge in the shop for " sunday" beer. That thing was from the early 50s and was still working till the early 2000 when we scrapped it for the old one in the house when mom bought a new one.BTW Sunday beer is reference to a supply of beer for Sunday since you can't by alcohol on sunday.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought our refrigerator second hand in 1961. Works fine yet. So many tell us it is not energy efficient and should have a new one. I say the energy it takes to build a new one , plus the cost of a new one , would take more than my lifetime to come out ahead for me or the country.

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before WW2 my mom or dad broke their garden rake. It would have been an easy repair with any kind of a welder, but there were none in the community, They sent with a neighbor to bring back one from the hardware store. I remember It had a little label saying BLUEGRASS from Louisville Kentucky.  
Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My moms toaster was bought new in 1956. It is a Sunbeam two slice automatic drop. It is still going strong at 62 years old.

JerryD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with you Eric. We got a Sunbeam toaster for a wedding present 57 years ago and it STILL WORKS. I don't think you can wear it out.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mom and Dad got a waffle maker when they got married,1949. It make better waffles now than new, because of non stick spray.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a gas dryer that I got second hand from a good friend in about 1982. He had bought a different house, and it had no gas. So, he offered it to me. It was maybe about 3 or 4 years old at the time. So, figure that it would come out to about 40 years old.
In the years since I have had it, I have put in two sets of Teflon guides that support the front of the drum, replaced the motor once, replaced the belt twice, and just recently replaced the two rear drum support rollers and bearings. Total cost in repairs over 40 years comes out to less than $100 and parts are still readily available for it.

I might add that it works just as good today as it did when new. Quiet, smooth, and it gets my clothes dry on rainy days.

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that old , but still works well...We are still using a microwave my wife bought in 1985...never repaired either. So newer stuff can last a long time as well.

Ben

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller,

Really enjoying reading these posts from you.

Especially loved the button story about the special buttons your sister saved.
My mom had a button tin. A red tin with a blue lid. We played with the buttons too, and used some for crafts - BUT had to get the OK from mom about which buttons we could take for our use. Smile

JerryS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford Ns.

quefan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GE refrigerator my parents purchased approx 1955 still purring along in my basement. Had one repair visit about 50 years ago. The wooden crate it was shipped in is still in the loft of the machinery shed at the farm.

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The waffle iron and toaster we got for our wedding in 1971 are still going strong. We finally threw away the pea green bathroom scale we got, because it was so ugly.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Things that last and are used often!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife collects cast iron cook ware and uses a lot of it on a regular basis,no telling how old some of it is and it works better than new as new has to be seasoned.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters