Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hey fixerupper...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hopped over to Blair, Nebraska this morning and too a few pics....

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much looks like many of the NE small towns I have been in back when I lived in Leigh NE. I'd love to be able to visit many of the places I lived in but that is not in the cards

johnlobb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep up the narrative, Greg! And the pics. I'm really enjoying your trip. Thanks!

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the pictures. Those Main Street pics take me down memory lane. In one of the pics the big green house looks like the one my uncle lived in many years ago but I might be wrong on that. Blair has changed so much since the days when my grandparents were alive. The area on HWY 30 between the bridge and town is all built up now and hardly recognizable from the old days. Same way for leaving town going south on 30. Granddad used to get his bacon from a meat locker on the north side of 30 between the road and the tracks on the east side of town. He liked bacon that was cured so strong it would curl your toes. I LOVED his bacon. He also caught carp in the Missouri River in the heat of the summer, took it home and deep fat fried it. I never ate it but I can only imagine how it tasted. Maybe he got his food likings from Denmark. He was a Danish immigrant and Blair is a Danish town. JD mentioned Kelly Ryan. My granddad knew Kelley Ryan, the founder pretty well. I have a sneaking suspicion they tipped a few together back in the day. LOL Drive safe.

The last residence he and grandma lived in used to be the Lutheran Church they attended and where my mother was confirmed. It was a typical wood structured church and when the congregation moved to a new church building grandpa Purchased the old building, cut the walls down to 8 foot, put a new roof on it and made it into a duplex, complete with the shuffleboard markings still in the basement floor.

Thanks for spurring some memories.

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

johnlobb- Thanks!

I'll gladly keep it up if it does not annoy anyone? Y'all let me know how you feel about me updating daily, please.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you ever been to Leigh NE?? I'd love to see if the old Lutheran school is still there and across the street from it was the Parsaninsh (sp) which we live in and then between the school and the Church was the principals house. From there you would drive down a long hill into the main part of the town of 500 when I lived there

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old- No, I have not been to Leigh NE. Sounds like a pretty cool place though.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I lived there back when I was around 10 years old. The guy who lived next door was the owner of the IH dealership so I got to play on a good many of the new tractor he had in his show room. He was also a member of the Lutheran church that my dad was the preach of. I can still remember plying on the 706s and 806s etc. That was also where I learned about eggs farming since one of the members owned an egg farm and they had a couple kid around my age so I got to go over and spend the night a good number of times which also meant I help do the chores which where going around picking up eggs

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old- If I remember right, one time you mentioned that you were on a dial-up connection to get the 'net'. It may not work for you but you can use Google Earth Street View and it's just like you are there driving down your old hometown streets. I use it a lot.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I am on dial up so any thing Google take a lot of time if I can even get there. Most Google stuff I try I'm lucky if I can even get there

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does either church look familiar?

First one is Zion Lutheran, second is St. Johns Lutheran according to google maps.

RBnWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep it up Greg. Enjoying the ride. Seeing some country I ain t seen for awhile. RB

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I lived in Leigh NE there was only one Lutheran church in Leigh. It was at the top of the hill and had a house between it and the school and school was up hill from the church on the left side of the road as one was going to town. Of the 2 pictures the first one loo to be the one I am talking about. When I lived there behind the church was pretty much an open farm field and to the left and down a small road a little ways was the IH dealer surplus equipment storage area

tracto-man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep up with the updates! I haven't posted much but am really enjoying seeing how it's going!

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey fixerupper... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading about your next adventure. You have a bunch of us folks riding with you.

Travel on friend.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters