Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gas pedal stuck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregww
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yet another gas pedal stuck. This time in Florida. On a 2005 BMW. Guy went 40 miles at speeds up to 95 mph. Personally, I don't think this is possible. He says he could not shift to neutral. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, why couldn't he just shut it off, if in fact something did malfunction. With all the electronics on cars today, I find it hard to believe that the "Perfect Storm" came together and prevented him from stopping the car in any way, for 40 miles. Stop sticks, and 4 flat tires apparently loosened up the gas pedal though. If there is an engineer out there, or auto expert that can explain how something like this could happen, I for one, would really like to hear it. Thanks Greg

Butch.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea, Me too.
Sounds a little fishy.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would want to say maybe cleaning out the carbon. Ya sure.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was a teen, there was a high speed police chase through town, 100+MPH.

Finally got him stopped, the explanation was the battery was low, he needed to get a good charge in it fast!

GarryinNC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As good as brakes are on cars today,especially BMW, I don't think a runaway is possible. I also believe he could have gotten it into neutral, if not when pulling, for sure when he applied some braking. How about turning ignition off, but not to the steering wheel lock position?

Back when all of the Toyotas were 'running away', I read that GM had more runaways during that same time period, but the main stream press was not interested in reporting that.

Garry

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't buy it either! But what about the new cars that do not have ignition switches? You leave the key in your pocket and just push a
button on the dash, maybe you can't use that button to kill the engine when the vehicle is moving. I hope I never have to buy one like
that!

gregww
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Russ from MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:04:14 02/13/1Cool I don't buy it either! But what about the new cars that do not have ignition switches? You leave the key in your pocket and just push a
button on the dash, maybe you can't use that button to kill the engine when the vehicle is moving. I hope I never have to buy one like
that!

I don't have a vehicle like that either. But if there is a "Make it go" button, there has to be a "Make it stop" button somewhere. This is the first time I have heard of this happening in a long while. Now we will have to see how many times it happens over the next couple of weeks.

greenmech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Happened in MN a few years back. Lady driving couldn't stop her car for twenty miles and killed 2 on a motor cycle at the intersection. Never did understand that one. Ron MN

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Russ, I thought about that...

Everything electronic, start, stop, throttle, shift...

If vacuum assist brakes, full throttle gas engine you would only get one shot at brakes.

With total electronic system you would have no actual physical control should the computer decide to freeze up!

I suppose it is "possible", but the likelihood that every failsafe failed, very unlikely.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A BMW doing only 95 with a stuck pedal? Maybe it was governed?

DoubleO7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:53:30 02/13/1Cool A BMW doing only 95 with a stuck pedal? Maybe it was governed?

2005 M47 (4cyl)
M57(6cyl)
or M67(VCool
All were diesels

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

...And this leads back to the questionable reality of "driverless vehicles"! What, they gonna have a built-in remote stop switch for just such an emergency?

4play
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This story stinks, the guy is either stupid or a liar and maybe both, 40 miles really? We don't need idiots like this on the road, it's a safety hazard and waste of resources to babysit him on his road trips.

He dodged stop sticks, if he hit the brakes the engine would have reduced power and slowed, he could have shifted to neutral ( though he says he couldn't ) he could have shut the ignition off and pulled over( key won't turn all the way to lock unless shifted to park) . BMW throttle pedal is hinged on the bottom/floor and very unlikely to be wedged down by floor mat or debris. Topspeed is around 125mph, he was going around 95mph and then later slowed to 65mph, then after all tires were flat 40mph.

4play
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
In a statement a BMW spokesperson called the scenario "implausible" and said there were numerous ways in which the driver could have stopped the car. "We would be happy to work with the Florida State Police to investigate the cause of this incident," the company added.

I also found this statement from BMW. It sounds like they are calling BS too. I bet they will gladly work with FHP and whoever else investigates this "incident"

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the news this morning the dispatcher asked if the brakes worked including the E- brake, he said yes but he didn't dare use them at that speed. I am surprised he could talk on the phone at that speed in traffic. Sounds fishy to me.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters