Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Backup buddy!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a reminder it's time to backup your 'puter files!!!

To a flashdrive, an external hard drive, discs... or The Cloud if you must.

Talked with a friend yesterday who's computer crashed - repair place thinks it's likely the motherboard.

When my motherboard fried a few years ago - was very thankful that I had most photos/documents backed up to an external hard drive... or I'd have lost years worth of family photos and all my junkyard RUST pics.

So get 'er done! Smile

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not only that smartphones i got mine wet and everything went so far I've not been able to recover even the pictures fortunately i send a few to my email and kept a few that way.I also lost all my contacts.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I back up Quicken fairly often,but since you brought it up,can you tell me how to back up my photo files in Windows 10 to a zip drive without backing up everything else in the computer? Last time I tried it I ended up with a three hour ordeal where it backed up literally everything in the computer.

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was thing Jungle Pam when I clicked on this....Smile

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don?t have a clue about any of this ? back up your file stuff? . Backed up drains, that I know about. When my I-phone that I had for 4 years just wouldn?t come on anymore, I took it to the apple store. They were shocked that I was able to keep a phone for 4 years, and have it work till just a few days before. Anyhow I figured all the photos on the phone were gone. ?Oh no? they said, ? your photos are all saved to I-cloud ? . Still not sure what that is, but when I got my new I-phone, they found all of my pictures, and they are all there on the new phone. I am a Gezzer , and I just nod and listen, and really don?t try to hurt my brain figuring out what the youngster in the Apple store said. I got my pictures, good enough

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i back up my phone on a regular basis. spiral notebook drive!!!!

Fred Werring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm overly cautious.

I hate paperwork clutter, everything...bills, receipts, checks...gets scanned and saved.Then the paper gets pitched.

Got 1 internal HD as a backup, and 4 external, two of which go to different barns and brought back up to the house once a month or thereabouts to get updated.

One of the other externals gets backed up to daily, the other weekly and is physically unhooked until time to do the backup...in case some nasty virus gets into my system, I've hopefully got clean backups.

I don't use "The Cloud" for backups, don't trust it. Hackers are everywhere.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

I use a program called Syncback for the automatic backups, it's free.

Fred

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Randy,

You should be able to open 2 Windows Explorer windows side-by-side on your computer screen... using the manila Windows Explorer icon down in the bottom "tray" of your desktop.

If your windows are full sized, you will need to point at the right edge of the window, until your cursor arrow is just on the border of the box and shows a 2-headed arrow - then click-AND-hold down the left mouse button... while dragging to the left to make your window narrower. Then do the same thing with the 2nd.

In window 1 - go to and open, your photo files.

Plug-in your flashdrive/hard drive and "open it to see files".

Now in window 1: RIGHT-click on the folder of pics you want to copy/or on any photo/photos within a folder, that you wish to copy...
In the drop-down menu, select "Copy" (circled in red on my pic)

Now put your mouse over window 2... and
RIGHT-click in any blank area (see green star on my pic)
In the drop-down menu, select "Paste".

It should now paste-in to your flashdrive/external hard drive whatever folder OR photo files that you had selected to be copied.

SCREENSHOT OF THE TWO "FILE EXPLORER" WINDOWS OPEN SIDE-BY-SIDE (hope it is not to blurry... hope this helps you):

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred,

Oh, yeah - GREAT point!!! I also disconnect my external hard drive... from the computer AND I unplug it from the wall outlet too.

Otherwise, you're correct... some malware can get from your computer into your external hard drive.

I unplug it from the wall outlet to make sure it is safe from power surges and/or lightening strikes frying it.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glennster,

LOL - thanks for the laugh!

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce,

Also too funny.

It don't matter iffen yer an old dog... I'm an old dog too! But we can learn some new tricks. :)

I have gotten a few pointers from a computer tech and/or just somebody more knowledgeable than I am... but for me, Google and YouTube have been excellent sources for learning everything from A-to-Z.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spook,
Uhm, I don't know who that is... but thinking I likely do NOT want to know. LOL

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmerwithmutt,

Did you take your phone to a tech place? Maybe they can retrieve files?

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder.
I just tried to backup my pictures and documents on a thumb drive and cannot get it to do anything when I plug it in.
Any suggestions?
Richard

PS; sent you an email a while ago.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Backup buddy! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm pretty old school. I sure do not trust "the cloud". I try to leave a very small foot print on the internet ! Too many hackers around.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters