Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

hauling rate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wally b
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am wondering what to charge for hauling equipment. 1-2 dollars a loaded mile and apply a percentage of that to weight and square foot of trailer space?

How do others do it

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$2.00 per loaded mile will just barely cover your expenses. $4.00 per loaded mile MIGHT put some money in your pocket.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot depends on where you are hauling. Some areas the toll on the toll roads can be over a dollar a mile. Fuel in some states.50-$1.00 per gallon higher than others. Takes some calculations to be at a point to make money but not be so overpriced that you get no work. You will have to calculate expense, decide your profit margin and hope you are right

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mmfan55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:06:23 02/15/1Cool A lot depends on where you are hauling. Some areas the toll on the toll roads can be over a dollar a mile. Fuel in some states.50-$1.00 per gallon higher than others. Takes some calculations to be at a point to make money but not be so overpriced that you get no work. You will have to calculate expense, decide your profit margin and hope you are right

And about the time you think you have it figured out, you end up 500 miles from home, with no choice but to deadhead all the way back.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have your insurance in place yet?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you would want closer to 4.00 per mile to make it worth your while.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also think $4.00 a mile for your base, then figure backhaul, tolls and any extras.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you'll ever make a go of it charging 4$ semis are charging about 2$ for most loads .when I was hotshoting trailers most loads were 1.60 per mile when insurance costs 800$ a month and the cost of getting your authority and ifta if your over 26.000 pounds makes it not a very profitable business

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can't get $4.00 per mile, just park the rig and stay home. It will be better than losing money.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be $2 a running mile and $4 a loaded mile. Been that way now for several years.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: hauling rate Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know where you guys get this 4.00 per loaded mile. I never got more than about 3 and some change with a detach hauling farm equipment. I got about 1.8-2.00 for my step deck. Over size was a bit more,not as much as you might think. I made decent money when I was on the road steady. Now with this electronic hostage program I'm not sure you can make money with a company job.
A lot of times I could load partials for as much money each as I could for full loads. I loved partials paid good and most were one stop per piece.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters