Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How many bottom plow?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chumbleyj
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I ask, I know there are variables that affect the answer. This question is for those with first hand experience and thank you.

Recently purchased Allis-Chalmers 180 Diesel. I need to purchase a new (used) plow, but unsure how many bottom this tractor will pull with little trouble. I will be looking at a 14 or 16, so hit me with your wisdom please...how many bottom?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All soils are different but here on my farm in the Red Clay ground if I wanted to just drop the plow and get with the program I'd hook up a 4 bottom plow.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As mentioned, depends on the ground. Some ground a three bottom would be plenty..

chumbleyj
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Traditional Farmer"](reply to post at 06:07:16 02/27/1Cool [/quote]Thank you. I also have the red clay with rocks...in some cases boulders. I like to move along at a good clip and you feel the 4 bottom should allow that in red clay ground?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As said depends on a lot of things,I have a 180 gas and a 185 diesel the 185 would move the 4 bottom a long real nice the 180 would pull it but not as easy.Also depends on how much the
tractor is weighted.Also brand of plows makes a difference I've always found Oliver plows to pull easier than most any others.

Jim Phelps
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 185 pulls 4-16's with no problem, we have some area's that are clay but mostly loam.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume semi mounted? 4 bottom Oliver/White. Tractor needs to be ballasted.

Skyhighballoon(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This. I have a 180 gas with fully loaded CaCl 18.4X30 rears with 80-90% tires and a 4-16's fully mounted Allis 74 plow with 392 bottoms. The 180 gas pulls it OK in High 2nd in normal loam type soils in my creek bottom fields...hit a patch of red clay and it will bring it to it's knees. I'd love to have the 10 extra HP from a 185...would pull it a lot better as said. Mike

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a high speed bottom verses a general purpose bottom. And that high speed will cut by one bottom you can pull.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And the 185 would use about 1/2 the fuel doing it too.

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's my wisdom:

"pull with little trouble"......My knee jerk reaction was 3x16". How many acres do you have? If not a lot go for the 3x16". Or, I suppose you could do 4x14".

You might want one of the higher clearance plows, then maybe 3x18".

I certainly would NOT do an Allis-Chalmers 2000 series (I think) 4x16" plow. They are hard pulling things. I used to plow with a 190XT and then a 200 with that plow with the front end in the air all the way across the field. I got good at it. Smile The front tires even had fluid in them. The 190XT literally split the rear end casting plowing a corn field head land. Of course that was when I still lived on the farm in the late 60's and early 70"s.

Get yourself a nice JD, Oliver, or IH 3 bottom.

Paul

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My moldboard plow has been sitting in the fence row for the last 30 years, just where it belongs. I don't know why anyone moldboard plows
anymore.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My moldboard plow has been sitting in the fence row for the last 30 years, just where it belongs. I don't know why anyone moldboard plows
anymore.

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4-16s is plenty in our heavy soil with my 185. hardly ever plow any more,but if I do will use a bigger horse on 4bottom.

chumbleyj
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: How many bottom plow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-16-30 oilpull"](quoted from post at 18:37:05 02/27/1Cool 4-16s is plenty in our heavy soil with my 185. hardly ever plow any more,but if I do will use a bigger horse on 4bottom.[/quote] Thank you all for the guidance...very enlightening...have my answer...small farm, 3 bottom it is...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters