Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

progress on the m-5 today

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

straightened the radiadtor grill screen(built a screen straightening tool), primed and painted, built back plate for the hydraulic tank for 2nd m-5 (missing) using the one off the shop tractor for a pattern, like johnny cashes car one piece at a time Laughing

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are making me feel lazy, CMF! Ha ha

Looking good!

Howard

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Howard H. wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:32:23 03/01/1Cool
You are making me feel lazy, CMF! Ha ha

Looking good!

Howard
well howard just jump in the truck or the plane and come on up, what size coveralls of do you wear? i'll get a pair for you, got a warm place to sleep, wife,s a great cook, you can work along any hours you want on miss minne, the list is as long as your arm Laughing heated shop, nice and warm you can even go skiing or skidooing on the back field, still got a foot or so of snow, more coming this weekend Laughing you'll have a ball. we can't have you laying around getting bored or you might get in trouble Laughing

Howard H.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds good! ha It was up to 80 the other day, so we haven't exactly had the full winter experience here... Not sure if it is global warming - or just our normal unpredictable weather. But with
the winter wheat sure needing a drink, send some of that snow our way!

Got any update pics of the M5?

HH

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Howard H."](quoted from post at 09:20:59 03/06/1Cool
That sounds good! ha It was up to 80 the other day, so we haven't exactly had the full winter experience here... Not sure if it is global warming - or just our normal unpredictable weather. But with
the winter wheat sure needing a drink, send some of that snow our way!

Got any update pics of the M5? will get you some update pics soon howard and I will add them to this post. working on getting the hydraulic tank out and all the rotten hoses changed out. prepping and painting some more pieces. my hot water tank in the shop crashed again for the 3rd. time, so will be going to town and get a 50 gallon electric and be done with this damn computorized gas one
Evil or Very Mad need the hot water to wash all the muck and oil off the back end and the power steering cylinder. now be carefull asking me to send you snow howard!! check out sv. cummins post and rusty6"s post how much snow I sent them Laughing

morepower02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got hit in south central Mn pretty hard the last day or so with snow. Should have guessed it was your fault sending people snow!

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

morepower02 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:32:25 03/06/1Cool
We got hit in south central Mn pretty hard the last day or so with snow. Should have guessed it was your fault sending people snow!
sorry about that morepower Embarassed but sending a snow storm south or east is kind of hit or miss, sv. was saying he needed snow so I sent him the storm that hit us last weekend and he got a good dump, but once it crosses the border it must have hung a left after his place! so it could be sv.'s fault Laughing

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good evening howard here's some update pics of the m-5 progress, still taking things off to get at the leaking old hyd. hoses. now at the point of draining the tank and pulling it, then will take all the hoses and lines into my local hyd. shop to build new ones.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did some work on the front side panels, straightening, weld up some fatique cracks around the bolt holes, sanding and prepping for paint. slow but sure it's coming along.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

draw bar day, pulled out the draw bar, the side brackets that hold the swing plate and sent the side brackets with my buddy to build me new ones, (he has a 50 ton press) and straighten the draw bar plate that has the roller on it to swing side to side. I built new c plate for up in the end draw bar holder, and new draw bar pin, cut and welded plates on the end of the draw bar to bring it back up to level, was worn down into the draw bar about a 1/4" on each side from implements and the first owner flipping it upside down! some pics of todays work.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok as per fdt860's suggestion, I will put all pics and progress under this post. so here go's. first lets back up to the beginning, the first day I saw the m5, getting her up and running, and the trip home.

Harold had pulled it out of the poplar trees along his fence row the evening before, my first impression was wow it's a nice straight tractor, loved the style, 2nd impression hhmmm needs some tlc, I wonder if it'll run?

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

went out the next week with a gallon of atf, pulled the plugs and poured a quart into each cylinder. looked the tractor over and made a list of items i'd need to get her running?? 4 weeks later went back and got started, pulled the roof and panels off blew out 20 years worth of poplar leafs, twigs, nests, cobwebs and fuzz! changed out the plugs, plug wires, most of the wiring harness,(rotten and dozs of splices) new choke cable, new battery, new fuel line and filter. Harold took the carb into work and rebuilt it, poured in 10 gallons of premium fuel with a little 2 cycle oil in it. Harold climbed up on the seat hit the starter and she was running on the 1st revolution!!

Harold had to cut it out of the trees Laughing

first time she rolled under her own power in 20 years, Harold at the wheel

I just had to take her for a spin Very Happy

loading up to go to her new home! the trip home was a little slow with all the weight on the back the trailer wanted to fishtail so kept it down below 50 mph.

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got the m5 home, ran it around a bit to warm it up, drove it in the shop and pulled the drain plug on the oil pan and went to bed! that was a long day. next day finished the oil change,new oil filter, cleaned and changed oil in the air cleaner, greased and went out the back and hooked up the j.d. 336 baler and brought it up to get ready for the 2nd. hay cutting.

after getting miss mine and the baler ready we went to work! baled a 155 bales in 45 minutes, the m5 is one smooth baling tractor and a pleasure to drive, the live pto, amplitorque tranny and torque to no end make baling a breeze.

during this time I get started on the restoration part, went out to westlock tractor parts (made a few trips) picked up 4 used 18.4 x34 firestone tires in nice shape and 1 front steering tire in nice shape. the rims where the start of this restoration

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

after sitting most of the winter finally get a spot cleared out in the shop and got started on the rebuild. in the meantime I had gone out and got miss mine's sister (40 serial #'s apart) and a 24t j.d. baler , this one is not running so went out with a tandem roll back hooked up the m5, drove over to the baler rolled the m5 back hooked up the baler and home.

miss mine rolling in the shop

carvel minne farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: progress on the m-5 today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

miss mine in the shop and starting on the repairs and rebuild.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters