Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

cold blooded IH gassers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
povertyknob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for some insight here as to why IH gas tractors are so miserable to try to start when the temp gets around freezing, I grew up with lots of stuff with IH diesels, 414s 436s and 466s and they were always good starters even unplugged or no either, makes no sense to me how good running gas engines are so cold blooded, where my allis chalmers wd 45 and C will start easily in the cold...
Looking for some ideas, insight or tricks to go on.

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my ih544 is a gas with no plug in or other heat. Sits in an unheated shed and always starts. I live in northern Wisconsin with some cold winters. Full choke and hit the starter. Fires right up. It does take awhile to warm up to get the choke all the way off.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The BA I built starts easy all year round. My IH584 if it gets below freezing needs to be plugged in but it is a diesel. Never have tried to start the Hs or the M or the 300U in the winter.

A lot of it has to do with getting things set up just right to have any engine to start In the cold. My S88 Oliver starts easy all year round and most of the time you cannot get your hand off the starter button fast enough

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Farmall Hs and M always start right up. Sometimes a little more choke is required if it is REALLY cold. AFTER they start I still need to play with the choke until the engines are warmed up just a bit. Sometimes it takes more choke to keep them running than it did to get them started.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my h, m's and w-9 are good starters in the winter. you have to be careful because they do flood easily. i set the throttle about 1/4 to 1/2 open, pull the choke and spin it over once, maybe twice and push the choke in. they generally start right there, then feather the choke until it smooths out. if you spin it over much more than that, you will see gas dripping out of the carb.

Wicksfield
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been fighting this problem on a new to me 656. My problem, and guessing yours too, is a good hot spark when cranking. When cranking, the starter button should by-pass any type of resistor used in the circuit when running. Do an experiment and take a jumper lead from the positive battery terminal (I used the bat. post on the solenoid) to the + side of the coil. Then try starting. My 656 popped right off. I then traced the problem, with help from guys on here, that it was my starter solenoid.

Jeff M NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 666. Sits outside but, it is covered up. I take off the tarp, pull the choke and start it. Starts very easy. That's why I bought a gas tractor was for the winter. Is the heat riser in the manifold working properly or not? Seems to make a big difference if not. I would check that. Also have an H. That starts well also and is still 6 volt.

FC Andy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 656 Gas, and am familiar with the situation. Make sure your ignition system is up to snuff. Mine was corroding the points, rotor, and cap once a year. As it got more corroded, you guessed it, hard starting. Situation seems better since I put an electronic ignition in it. What oil are you using? 30wt oil is pretty hard to move at freezing temperatures, I usually put a quality 10w-30 in for the winter. I could get scolded for that, but I put very few hours on the tractor. It'll crank faster and start better with multi viscosity oil. Next, are you running it on premium gas and tuned the carburetor on that fuel? I've only ever used 92 octane, by advise, and all has been well for me. Timing would make a difference, is it a little off? Lastly, and I know every tractor has different habits, but mine when cold will only start with the throttle at low Idle, and full choke. once it pops, I can bump the throttle up, and usually it's running. After a few minutes of warm up, it'll have power and I can go about my work. Even so, It'll still sputter a little until the manifold warms up some. I have 2 friends with this same series of engines also, another 656, and a 756. The 756 is more forgiving for some reason, but the other 656 acts almost identical to mine. Like I said, the electronic ignition helped mine out, but as long as you've recently filed or replaced your points, cleaned the rotor and cap, it should start fairly well down to about 0F. At least mine will. -Andy

FC Andy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I should add, that I assume you are referring to the 6 cylinders. We've got a C, Super C, had an M, and ours all start and run great in the cold. I've not heard anyone complain about the 4 cylinder engines and hard starting. -Andy

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve never had a problem starting my 706 in any cold temperatures, that?s the main reason I bought it. As long as it is kept tuned up and has a fully charged battery, it fires up on the first or second try easily.

povertyknob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 2 tractors I have are a 560 gas and 300 utility, the 560 has a fresh overhaul electronic ignition a tank full of 92 octane bp gas from its own pump and a oil pan full of IH low ash 30wt oil and a valve adjustment along with a working fixed heat riser...
The 300 utility is a miserable turd to start in the cold and always has been so I don't try.
Im in South east Iowa by the way, cold but not Minnesota or Wisconsin cold,lol!!!

Bert L
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I'm just a "softie", I always plug-in the coolant heater,(sometimes also magnetic oil pan heater) for a couple of hours when my '53 Super W-4
will be required for loader-bucket snow clearing duty. Starting procedure same as summer i.e. one quarter open throttle
then get him spinning 'BEFORE' introducing any choke! Ignoring or trying to bypass this fundamental technique will
inevitably result in my spending a self-deprecating and unproductive half-hour while waiting for carburetor flooding recovery.
My main reason for pre-heating my old workhorse is to minimize wear and tear on it....BUT, Winter's in my neck of the woods,(Manitoba)
are world-renowned for their colder than Arctic temperatures, tractor is tarp-covered only and really couldn't be expected
to start reliably without pre-heating.

Old weldor
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 300 row crop that I use in the winter occasionally. It has a pertronics ignition kit and is 12 volts. It always starts instantly but is very cold blooded . I have to let it run at least ten to fifteen minutes before I even try to move it or even moving a hydraulic lever it will try to stall. If I run it with the choke out two thirds it does a little better. After it runs about a half hour I can push the choke in.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen a gas IH tractor that didn't fire right up in cold weather. I always thought they started better in cold than in hot weather.

A friend has a 300 with loader. It still has points and condenser. It fires up as soon as you turn the key.

Rex Simpkins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: cold blooded IH gassers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a gas IH that won't start when cold you need to look real hard if you may have fuel delivery or ignition issues. Never seen an IH gas motor that would not start when cold unless there is something wrong

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters