Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tires - Ground Drive Implement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rein_Quest
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Searching the forum I must not be using the right keywords so I'll just ask bluntly.

What direction should I3 treads face on a ground driven machine? Do you reverse it because the implment is pushing the other way??

Looking at a PTO forecart gave me pause because it was the reverse of what I expected.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen them mount backwards of how one you see them on a tractor but yes I would think they would work better but never seen them that way. Shoot even the steel wheel ones that had bar on the wheel had them mounted like you would normally run them if on a tractor

Rein_Quest
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know I my use doesn't really need a lot. I just took the cheapest thing that had groves and that ended up being an I3 ag tread.

These forecarts are cool though. Makes me want to get a couple draft horses and bale hay.

https://farmingwithhorses.com/hd-ground-drive-pto-forecarts/

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always mount them backward on an implement,just put a set of tractor style tires on one of my NH 256 hay rakes today.On my skid loader I switched to tractor style tread put the
back ones on same as a tractor reversed the front ones so it backs out of holes with a loaded bucket better.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ground driven manure spreaders were always the opposite the tractor tires.

Rein_Quest
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.

I like that idea with the skid loader by the way. Makes a lot of sense to me for that machine.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mount backwards from a farm tractor.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That Forecart I do not believe would work as the machinery load off the PTO would be more than the grip of the tires would be able to give. And the mowers the tire is just to small to be able to generate the power the mower needs. Had a David Bradley mower on 6:50x16 tires and it would not run the 5' cutter bar with out the wheels slipping. A manure spreader gets the grip from the weight of the load when it starts unloading and does not take the power when it gets partial loaded and the weight gets off the tires. That outfit to be able to put enough power out to doo anything would have to have the tires loaded with the heaviest weight avaible. Forecarts but without a PTO and steel wheels are a way of life for my friends.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If there not mounted backwards, there going to push the dirt to the center once they slip, and then they really slip in their own loose soil.

DoubleO7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your saying the pictures they show of the forecart in action are fake and photoshopped?

Rein_Quest
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as the cart working.

https://youtu.be/ieo1vUjTOfA

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of the many dozens on them that we mounted over the years, all of them were mounted opposite of farm tractor
tires. My own spreader is that way.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can make things work in light hay but get in heavy it is a different story, On a 7' haybine in light 3rd cutting alfalfa you could pull one with a B allis, on heavy red clover timothy first cutting mix you might need the WD 45 or at least a WD so that is how they get things working and then they just might have the tires loaded for those pictures but when you would buy one the tires would just have air in them. You can make things work for show but not in real life. A brand new knife would cut better than the aberage 100 acre use knife and then put 500 acres on that knife and it will pull a lot harder. And most knives will be like that 500 acre one instead of the brand new one.

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The math says that at 3.5 mph (the ground speed that the literature quotes the PTO speeds at) you
would need approximately 1000 lb of pulling force to generate 10 PTO horsepower. Assuming that a
tire on grass can generate a tractive force of half the weight it's carrying (in other words, a
coefficient of friction of .5) means that the cart would need to weigh 2000 lbs in order to
transmit the 1000 lb pulling force to the PTO without the tires slipping. At the end of the day
there is no free lunch - you can never get more power out of the PTO shaft than what the horses are
delivering at their harnesses and only then if the power can be transmitted through the system
without loss such as wheel slippage.

Rein_Quest
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires - Ground Drive Implement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll concede the point that it'll likely struggle in certain conditions. I'd like to think if they can get it to speed flywheel momentum could get it past rough patches. I don't know much about hay anyways but it is neat to hear the bailer run without a tractor. I just thought it looked fascinating and makes me wish I had a couple draft horses.

I found that when I was trying to look up tools I could get that are ground driven. I only know of a couple tillage tools, manure spreader, horse sickle mower, and a few types of rakes that you just pull and they work.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters