Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Non Sherman auxilary trans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a parts tractor w/o engine or radiator ... to my surprise, when I started to unload it from my trailer, I noticed an extra transmission in front of the stock 9N 3-speed.

the shifter is on the right side instead of he left, and is made of cast iron...but straight, and not like the dog-leg style of the Sherman combo.

I`ve had the Howard before, but it was way different from the Sherman, and what I have...I`m not at all familiar with the Hupp trans and wonder if that is what I have...

It looks like I have to remove the shaft that holds the throw-out bearing to get the aux. trans out...but, I can`t figure out how to remove the shaft...or should I say the fork on the shaft.

Any help would be much appreciated...

TomT

Greg NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a Hupp to me, I have a TO 30 that has one. Does the handle have a ball cast on the end or is kinda
flat only, almost like an angle iron on the 'handle' end? I believe the ball end is used on the high, low,and
direct trans only. Sorry but I'm no help on any removal tricks. Greg NE

TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the handle is straight flat cast iron...about 9 or 10 inches long with a small flat round knob at the rear... and it looks like there was something broke off the end where it goes into the tranny case...it functions fine.

thanks for the reply!!!

TomT

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This it

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TomT wrote:
It looks like I have to remove the shaft that holds the throw-out bearing to get the aux. trans out...but, I can`t figure out how to remove the shaft...or should I say the fork on the shaft.

If you are referring to shaft/fork in photo, then all you have to do is disconnect the clevis assembly and rotate the clutch fork forward. This will allow you to slide the throw out bearing off of input shaft housing.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sound like a step up handle. A photo would help.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just removed a Sherman combo a couple of weeks ago.
Go on YouTube and punch in Ford tractor Sherman combo
transmission removal. Or punch in Kirk-NJ and some of my videos
will come up. Might be helpful

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk, I thought all of the Sherman's were configured with the shifter on the left?

TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, L.B,...that looks real similar to mine...except, mine doesn`t have that mounting boss for a bolt in the rt. side.

TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dollar Bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:33:46 03/09/1Cool
TomT wrote:

If you are referring to shaft/fork in photo, then all you have to do is disconnect the clevis assembly and rotate the clutch fork forward. This will allow you to slide the throw out bearing off of input shaft housing.

Dollar Bill,

Thanks for the photo...I have the throw out brg off; but the trans is too large to go over the shaft and fork...I`ll have to remove the front snout or bearing retainer to get the fork to rotate enough to get to the pin to drive it out...your pic helped in that I could`nt tell if the pin was tapered or not

TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:51:30 03/09/1Cool Sound like a step up handle. A photo would help.

Kirk, Thanks ...I wish I knew how to post pics...but I`m old, and I`m doing good to post on this forum...I just did figure out how to use the "quote" option when posting a reply...that helps a lot..

it appears that there are only 2 blots at the bottom of the trans that actually hold it in place...I`m guessing the input shaft keeps it centered in the flywheel, and carries the front weight.

I`ve never removed a Sherman, but I have what I believe is step up trans in one of my other 9ns...I`ll check out your video...

Thanks, TomT

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check my other Sherman videos about shifting and determining
step up from step down

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Sherman shifter on left although I have seen some Sherman
reversers extended to the right side.
I'm moving the Sherman handle on a step up to the other side in
my 8n cause the shifter on my left would hit the trans plate and
bracket for the one arm loader.

nonfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a hupp and the shifter is on the right

TomT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Non Sherman auxilary trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:02:50 03/09/1Cool Check my other Sherman videos about shifting and determining
step up from step down

I`m not sure how to do that...

That really sounds stupid when I say it, but it`s true...

I guess google u tube, and then search Kirk NJ???

thanks, TomT

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters