Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ignition Points

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi to all, I'm normally at the Case site, but have a new project, which is a nice original 8N, it needs work but love the tractor. I will try and post when in progress for restoration. My question today is what are the best points for this girl, and who supplies them. Any advice I can use. Thanks in advance.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See tips 66, 67 and 68. This site carries Bluestreak. NAPA carries Echlin. Carquest use to carry Wells. Amazon carries all of them.
75 Tips

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Side mount distributor so Blue Streak# FD-8081X or Echlin# CS753
Buy them from your local NAPA or other parts store.
You want to verify they have a phenolic rubbing block, not black
or white plastic. The plastic ones will wear very quickly.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen the plastic rubbing block be a issue on a side mount dist... Never Shocked I have installed hundreds if not thousands never had a issue with the plastic rubbing block across the board...

A front mount is a different animal NO PLASTIC rubbing block...

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the hard core points lubbers..

Google "CC-30 Texaco" those points sets are the real deal you will find them on ebay are another place are two. I would almost bet those sets were made 40/50 years ago in the USA... They have the recommended best rubbing block...

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:12:36 04/19/1Cool
For the hard core points lubbers..

Google "CC-30 Texaco" those points sets are the real deal you will find them on ebay are another place are two. I would almost bet those sets were made 40/50 years ago in the USA... They have the recommended best rubbing block...

Are the CC-30 Texaco points for the N series Ford tractore?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as pictures can go, those look right for a side mount, but not a front mount, but a picture isn't definitive.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Side mount points... It was part of my stash that got lost in a break up of a partnership in 1999.... My X partner in crime passed a year ago and I finely got my hands on some of my stuff he had locked down... What they would not give me that was mine I had to buy it back Sad.... I did not plan to pay for it but got the old story they could not pay there light bill... Kin folk the worst to deal with...

I brought out a old Texaco service station in the early 80's I had hundreds of sets of those point sets about 5 sets survived...

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:56:27 04/19/1Cool
Side mount points... It was part of my stash that got lost in a break up of a partnership in 1999.... My X partner in crime passed a year ago and I finely got my hands on some of my stuff he had locked down... What they would not give me that was mine I had to buy it back Sad.... I did not plan to pay for it but got the old story they could not pay there light bill... Kin folk the worst to deal with...

I brought out a old Texaco service station in the early 80's I had hundreds of sets of those point sets about 5 sets survived...
As much as I despise "regulation", it ought to be in the Constitution that one can not do business with relatives! :^)

Hobo, do you think front mounts are harder on points rubbing block because of a more aggressive point cam ramp?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dunno I was lending toward heat, Whut do you think... All I know is I don't like a distributor I can not tinker with in action... I just brought the perfect 9N Shocked Shocked Shocked it has a late 8n engine and converted to 12V Smile That may be a Sad he said it would not start while he was fudgen with it the dist rotated...

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Points Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I have never seen the plastic rubbing block be a issue on a side mount dist... Never"

You have better luck than I do. I had the embarrassing experience
of a non-starting side mount the day a guy showed up to buy it.
We re-gapped the points, which had a white plastic rubbing block
and were fairly new, then the tractor started and ran well.
I ended up including a new set of quality points and he bought the tractor.

Side mount or front mount, for the difference in price, I'll buy
quality parts when possible and save the frustration.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters