Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Replacing a Good One

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today I made the decision to replace my 51 Sherman combination equipped 8N with a Kubota.

I have mixed emotions about doing so because my Father bought it from the original owner in 1974 and it has served he and I well since.

I'm now down to my Sherman combination equipped 52 with just over 1,100 hours, which I will never sell, my 64, 4000 SOS utility loaded retirement project, and my loaded 55 860, which will probably be the next to go.

I made no effort to trade the 51 in and will put it on the market with some trepidation in a month or so.

Priorities change.

Dean

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you from? I'd like to see photos if possible..that's what I was looking for was a Sherman equipped 8n, I ended up giving up and just purchased a regular 4spd 8n.

Jimmyjack
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been there, done that, the 860 was one of the toughest to part with for me.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not yet for sale but will be in May or June.

I'm near Cincinnati.

K.Campbell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

email me when your ready ....with photos if possible... fourwheelhorseman@yahoo.com thanks!

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll try to remember, K.

Email is open below in Classic, so let me know if I forget.

Dean

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Priorities change."

Well said Dean.
It's kind of sad to let go of an old friend like that.
I have done similar a few times.
Had a 66 Volvo 1800 S that I loved for about 10 years but finally let it go.
Also had this 48 Diamond T for nearly 18 years and finally let it go.
I drove this truck up the AlCan and back, "restored" it twice while I had it. Had some great fun and adventures with it.
But there comes a time...
Hopefully you will find the "right owner" who will appreciate it. Then you can let go of it inside.

Heres another toy I let go

TerryB Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:32:11 04/19/1Cool Today I made the decision to replace my 51 Sherman combination equipped 8N with a Kubota.

I have mixed emotions about doing so because my Father bought it from the original owner in 1974 and it has served he and I well since.

I'm now down to my Sherman combination equipped 52 with just over 1,100 hours, which I will never sell, my 64, 4000 SOS utility loaded retirement project, and my loaded 55 860, which will probably be the next to go.

I made no effort to trade the 51 in and will put it on the market with some trepidation in a month or so.

Priorities change.

Dean

I might be net tested in the 860.

TerryB Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might be interested. Spell check sucks sometimes.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, UD.

That is a nice Diamond T.

I am just old enough to remember Diamond Ts on mainline highways.

When small, I remember my Mother (WWII veteran) wishing about driving the AlCan Highway while my Father rolled his eyes.

Of course, neither drove it.

I'm 68 and no longer want to work on tractors, old or new. My 51 is being replaced by my 5th Kubota. I do not expect to work on any of my Kubotas (oil changes excepted) so long as I need them.

Priorities change.

Dean

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Terry.

My 860 is also not yet for sale but will probably be so within the year.

I have a 64, 4000 retirement project that I hope to someday tackle.

My 860 has a new set of 11" six loop rims that I plan to replace with a complete set of good PA rims, centers, etc. that I have on hand so as to keep the 6 loop rims, centers, etc. for use with a set of dual wheel adapters for my 64 retirement project. Don't ask.

I change my own tires but do not do so in cold weather (I've done so, and it's more difficult.). Hopefully, I can do so this summer.

Once the changeover has been made I will market the 860, perhaps by fall.

I cannot install the heavy weights currently on the 860 with PA rims unless the rims are adjusted mostly inward but may install a set of light weights (currently on hand) that can be installed on PA rims without regard to rim adjustment. Still planning but low priority.

I will likely post both here and on local CL when the time comes.

Dean

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Good One Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean,
Can't say I blame you. I most likely would only own one tractor, if I could afford to buy a new one. In the meantime I'll just have to keep tinkering on my old tractors to keep them going.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters