Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This evening my renter was working ground near my house to plant corn...I'm used to seeing a green
or yellow one pulling the 40 ft soil finisher....The green one was working in another field...Tomorrow it
will get planted.....Its working up great but its getting a little dry on top..Just south of here they've been
planting for 10 days and lots are done..Most years the planting would all be done here but its just been to cold..
We have a good chance for rain Saturday and Sunday..

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let’s hope they can get it planted before the rain. It can’t get much better than that, plant into dry soil and then get a good inch of rain. You should have corn up by mid April shouldn’t you?

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your soil looks a bit toward brown in color or is that just as it appears in photos. If it really is that brown color it is quite a bit lighter than our deep black soil here in southern MN.

JDIH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where's all the stones? Seriously, looks like nice ground

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:46:41 04/19/18) You should have corn up by mid April shouldn’t you?

You must not realize today is April 20. My neighbors corn is 6''-8'' tall.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I highly doubt that one kernal has been planted in Ohio but if so I bet they wish they hadnt. Said on the radio yesterday that Columbus has had 10 days in April with snow fall. We have had considerable snow falls in April several times over the years but never this consistently cold in my memory.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its sandy soil with clay underneath..You have to go a ways north of me to find deeper black soil..5-6 years ago this field raised 198 bushel corn on 12" of rain from planting until it was dented..Normal is 140..

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch,youve been getting all of my snow....In the past two winters we haven't had 5" total...Lots of
years the corn is up by now..25 miles south of me theres been corn in the ground for nearly a month
but I think its going to be replanted..Last year lots in that area planted the middle of March and had a
great crop..It didn't work this year..

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The stones are just east of me...I'm at the edge of where the Ozarks meet the Plains..One problem we have
here is hot and dry July's and August's..Most years the corn needs to be made by July 4th..Last year
was an exception...Lots of corn had to be replanted in May and still made 140-150 bushels..

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's that blue stuff above and behind the tractor?

What's that fog coming up from the soil finisher?

It's been gray and wet around here for so long, I've forgotten what those are called.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up here it's about 3". None of it mine. I got the winter crop baled and Thursday got the summer SS crop planted. Tomorrow 1+ inch of
rain scheduled. Life is good.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of years its up by now..Not that many years ago everyone waited until late April to plant..
Now it goes in the ground in late March-early April if the weather allows..

David from Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There were several planting yesterday south of me. Yes, good chance of rain. First in many weeks. Oats planted earlier didn't come up until we got a nice rain about 3-4 weeks ago, about 1"-1.7". They are predicting more than an inch here in the next two days.

Skyhighballoon(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blaine - what's the soil temp up to down there? Still in the 40's here (Cooper County). Too many nights down in the low 30's and only 50's/60's for highs is not bringing the temp's up in the 50's to plant corn. I project it will be at least a week into May before I think about having corn planted at my place. I have been discing up the corn stalk fields that are going in beans this year and using the heavy Allis KT disc to knock down the green where the corn is going. Mike

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ground Worked Ready To Plant Corn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike-been gone all day...Went 90 miles SW to Parsons,KS and back to Baxter Springs,KS...Corn planting
is right at 100% complete every where we went..Its very dry down that way and a 1" rain would be welcome...
I don't know what the soil temperature is but all of the corn on my place is now in the ground..Most of the
neighbors are done too..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters