Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuckeyeFanInFL76
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was curious to know how I can make my brush hog attach in line with my tractor. Attached is a picture of how it sits right now which is offset to the right a bit. What do I need to adjust to accomplish this?

hydro70guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do not have a tractor like that but looks like you need to shorten your chains up a bit make sure it cannot swing far enough over to hit
rear tire for sure.

IanC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it with all your implements or just the cutter? If it's all, measure center to center on the eyes on the lift arms, there are fifferent lengths off fifferent machines. If they are the same then you should install a stabilizer bar kit.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a sway bar with my 8N and bush hog. A sway bar is a flat bar with two holes, one at each end. One end attaches to the 3 Pt pin at the mower, just slide it on and install the linch pin. The other end attaches under the axle using the fender bolts.

Typically they come in a kit of two bars with brackets which attach to the fender bolts. Just look for Sway Bar kit and you can figure it out. I only use one bar for the bush hog however, some people use both.

I use the bar to hold position however, I have the bush hog shimmed to the right side. I can get closer to the fence with the mower tracking outside the edge of the rear tire.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's the problem with that? I always pull mine off to the right and pin it that way so I can mow beyond the tire a little. If you would
shorten the chain on the right it would probably center up if that's important to you.

BuckeyeFanInFL76
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only have one implement which is the brush hog

BuckeyeFanInFL76
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am new to bush hogging and I assumed it would create more stress for the PTO Shaft to be at an angle like that. Would it be ok to leave as is?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give the u-joints on the pto shaft a little shot of grease before you start mowing in the morning. It doesn't hurt for the shaft to run offset like that, in fact its actually better for them. If the joints ran straight all the time they are more likely to seize up. I run my mower the same way, it lets you mow a little closer to fences, etc, and it also keeps you tires away from fences, or whatever you are mowing around.

grizz02
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put sway bars on it

grayrider
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need a stabilizer bar (sway bar) on each side

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Install a sway bar or two on it

Bob 7337
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard to tell from pictures, but check how long the pull bars are. Looks like left one may be longer than right one and pushing bush hog to right. Left on looks longer in picture than right one to me in picture

IanC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since you are new to this, one thing that is very important is to make sure the PTO shaft can telescope freely. As the cutter moves up and down the shaft has to get longer and shorter, if the shaft cannot slide easily with just light pressure the force can and will damage the rear PTO bearing in the tractor. I also do not see an over running coupler, you need to get one otherwise the flywheel effect of the cutter can push the tractor into things (and/or get a good bumper for the front).

WNYBill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Without the sway bars, your mowing will look like a drunk did it. Mower will swing back and forth.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brush Hog Not Centered on Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should worry more about running that rig without an Overrunning PTO adapter than weather it centers or not.
Without the ORC you could find yourself and the tractor in a pond or up a stump.
Loren

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters