Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pix not getting into reply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George by Geneva, NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I tried 2x to get pix in a reply I wrote, late 31 May on the Ford Board. Never saw them in the preview or after the reply was posted. Screwed around 40 min and wasted. Pix would help the op with his and many other Ford owners problem. I think I tried to post same pix earlier this year for the another Ford owner's problem.. What is wrong.?? Help Is it really so complicated that only special people can do it? What am I missing? Thanks, George

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem is almost always the file size. You'll notice that it says 300K is the maximum. If the camera is set to high resolution, the photo sizes are beyond what the server can accept. The upload just never finishes when it exceeds the size. We have a limit of 300K filesize. A lot of phones/cameras are set up to generate up to 4MB file sizes.

As far as being complex, their are two uploads shown on Modern View and part of the time on Classic. The button marked Upload Photos/Videos is a little simpler to use. You just press that select the file and wait till it says uploaded. The other one is a bit more complicated but only because there is a lag from when you click upload and when it puts the link in your post. If you move to quick, it never makes it in the post. Use Modern View's Upload Photo/Video and this won't happen.

George by Geneva, NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the reply. I checked and the pix are in 5.5 to 8 MB. So yeah, they exceeded the 300 limit. Solution is to get a crappy camera that has pix less than 300mb? Or is there some way to cut the pix in half and get below the 300 limit? I do not know--it is the other site users loss. thanks again for info. George

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cameras allow you to set the size of photo resolution you use. If you set it very high, it creates photos very wasteful of space and unless you are producing a "photo" quality output on high definition output devices, the excess quality will never be used, certainly not on the web. In places where it's really crucial, they will offer a HD version of the photo that you can load if you want the load time. We don't have anything like that. Some sites have software that lets you down load the massive photo, but it actually cuts it way down and loses that definition intentionally.

If you do take extremely high resolution photos and leave your camera set that way, it's still possible to make them presentable to web applications in a variety of ways. I can't say all those ways for all the possible devices. On my phone, I used to have this problem before I figured out that there were settings to determine the output size of the photo file (basically a High Definition option). There were apps available to downsize photos and I found I could even mail it to myself, and my mail application would downsize it to something more reasonable. Now I've just changed the resolution and high definition is not on, so I save space on my camera. They still can be large so I usually load to my computer and upload to the web from there where I have control over what I'm doing.

The 300K limitation is only on the older software, you can get a 2-4MB (it varies based on the speed of your connection because it will timeout if the speed is too low) photo to load if you use modern view and the "Upload Photo/Video" button. We can't keep larger than that since we house millions of photos growing by 100s every day.

George by Geneva, NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welll, thanks for the reply. Learned something today. Camera is Nikon LX27. The complete instruction book has been lost around here someplace for a while and I have started to find it, resulting in massive cleaning of shelves, boxes of old desk clean-off, and other assorted messes. I guess I will have to retake the pix in low resolution when I figure out how to change it. Will try posting pix then. For now, thanks for the guidance as to the source of the problem. Regards, George

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pix not getting into reply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I'm typing this, I'm bringing my photos into my computer and exporting them from the day's restoration work. The export process from the camera usually knocks it down to very small size. Depends on your system and application of course. I like to do that anyway because it lets me organize them into categories, the photos I take for reassembly, for articles, for posting, and the ones just to keep for reference and keepsake (like "before" pictures). It's a healthy process because then I can crop them to be just what I want. It's a part of my routine each night, and a way to settle down after my shop time (breaking bolts, dumping antifreeze all over and what have you Wink).

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters