Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Z134 repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago I purchased a TO35 and finish mower. Tho advertised as 'everything works as it should', the governor did not. I observed the lever arm 'bouncing' at low speed and there was no function while running. I also observed oil on the floor after a run - thought it was maybe the front seal, but after cleaning things up it looked more like the pan gasket at the front engine cover. Neither a huge deal, I've been into these before and with a rainy day today I hit the shop.

Drained fluids - also pulled the gas tank so I can adjust the valves -

Two hours later, the area of interest is exposed -

The balls in the governor were no longer contained by the cage - dunno - I've seen broken cages, but this is different -

The unpleasant surprise - the front cover has been broken and partially welded, explaining the oil leak -

Here's the trouble items - governor, friction disk/spring, the pulley is rough, don't know if it will clean up acceptably so not to eat the seal - and of course the front cover - I'll do some eBay searching this evening, but if anyone here has one to sell, my email is activated.

Also looking for a set of foot pegs - one side was broken and the other side cracked - does anyone know if these are the same as the TO20/30?

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per Parts Catalogue:

YES... the FOOT REST / Radius Rod Ball Cap and associated components are the same on the FERGUSON TE-20,TEA-20,TO30,T020 and Massey Ferguson 35.

Owner Operator TEA-20...MF FE 35 X

Bob....

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice paint. Those parts should be available on YT parts.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a product called a "Micro-Sleeve" for the front pulley.

It's thin polished sleeve that presses over the hub, gives a new surface for the seal to run on.

The friction disc can be made of just about any thing tough. A piece of leather, conveyor belting, heavy canvas, thick gasket material...

graham_in_NJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fleabay has your pegs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Massey-Ferguson-TO-20-30-Tractor-Foot-Rests-Radius-Blocks/202328922784?hash=item2f1bbe5aa0:g:G8MAAOSw9X9a~KcH

Six bucks plus shipping!

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mid-event update -

Looks like the pulley will clean up, I was concerned about corrosion, but it turned out to be built up oil/grease, so that's that much that won't require fussing

I have the necessary parts on the way (technically they won't physically be shipped till monday) and found a front cover, $100 + shipping - could be worse, I guess -

I took the opportunity while the pan was off to brighten up the timing marks on the flywheel, paint them white, wipe the paint off so only the marks themselves are painted - I'll paint red lines at 6* (static timing mark) and 28* (timing @2200rpm) and then spray clear polyurethane over the whole area - this will make it slightly easier to set the timing using a timing gun thru that little hole - I don't know what Continental was thinking when they set that up...

I've got some cork gasket material flattening under weight and I'll cut a new friction disk from that, go to the hardware store and try to find an appropriate spring, then I should be able to reassemble that mechanism.

I need to clean up and paint the battery tray - I'd like to get it sandblasted, but to get it out is a big job, I'll do it another time -

I took off the left side steering linkage, disassembled, and straightened the long link which had at some time been bent significantly - I'm thinking about taking the other side apart just to clean up threads and make the adjustment work, I notice the link ends are aligned in such a way that they are in a small bind.

All the while waiting for the footpeg auction to come around -

The Tracto-meter was disconnected and cable/drive missing when I got the tractor, the meter is froze up, I've sprayed some penetrating oil and have been working with it, but I doubt it's salvageable - $65 for new meter, $25 for cable, $150-$200 to rebuild the generator with the proper commutator and gear drive = $300 to get it working, I think I'm going to put it off for a while.

Looking into the bottom of the crankcase, about all I can do is cross my fingers as I observe the quality of the last rebuild, the safety wiring is done in an amateur fashion, I guess by the same guy that thought it alright to half-weld the timing cover and thereby leave out one of the oil pan bolts - was the governor re-installed wrong causing the problem or was it already defective and re-installed anyway? Or maybe it did go bad after? dunno - as I look at the details, I deduce that the last rebuilder was not particularly skilled -

I still feel alright about the purchase, the broken timing cover is the only thing I didn't see/anticipate when I got it - I'll feel much better when it's running properly

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got most of the parts yesterday and spent the evening reassembling -

The new to me front engine cover is from a 'green belly' - seems OK, the linkage is slightly bent but I can deal with that - I cleaned it up and lubricated the needle bearings - also ran a tap into all the threaded holes in the block and wire brushed the bolts

here's the new governor beside the old, and the cheapest part of this repair, the throttle linkage. I made a new friction disk out of gasket material that's been floating around with me for 40 years and found a $1.19 spring at the hardware that looks to be about right - I think the old governor did not have the proper nut to center the mechanism on the cam gear -

lubed things up and nutted the new governor to the camshaft gear

then installed the governor race -

installed a new seal in the housing and installed it along with the pulley - of course this housing has the earlier style oil cap, same as the TO30 I think, while the housing it replaced had the later style cap, so now I need to stir up a cap - dunno if NAPA will have one or not - they seem rather expensive via eBay -

cleaned the oil pan and associated gasket surfaces, ran a tap thru all the threaded holes, then called it a night - I'm considering running new safety wire thru the main bearing cap bolts - the job that was done at the last rebuild is useless - on the other hand, it's ran for quite a while as it is and it will be a difficult and unpleasant job to do laying on the floor looking up at oil drips... here's the wiring job

and what it should look like (more or less, I'm not well practiced) - this is a Z129 engine I overhauled this last winter

dunno - I'll see how ambitious I feel tomorrow...

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always more ambitious after a nights sleep, I got in a little shop time today - removed the oil pick-up and then cut out the soft, light gauge wire -

and replaced it with SS - stiff stuff -

I can't even give the previous guy 'E for effort' - just an unacceptable job on the wire -

replaced the oil pan and got called away to more important things - doubt I'll be able to get back to it for a day or two -

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An update - got the tractor back together and running this afternoon -

Bob (John Deere D) threw out a phrase in another thread "previous owner syndrome" which I am facing every time I dig on this tractor -

I had a couple of hours a couple days ago and got the front bolster, axle, and radiator back in place -

I went to fill the cooling system, book says 2.5 gallon, this holds about 1.5 gallon - so I'm running 66% antifreeze instead of 50% - not a big deal, but I'm guessing that a replacement radiator holds a lot less coolant than the original -

hooked up a temporary fuel tank and lifted the valve cover to adjust the lash - started right up and oil starts shooting out the back of the rocker arm shaft, no cork plug - I had to pop a bottle of wine to get some material to manufacture a plug, tough, but sacrifices have to be made occasionally - I only drank part of the bottle at this point -

I whittle a plug and install it, start the tractor and oil starts spurting out the other end of the shaft - disassembling the front end of the shaft I find the previous mechanic had used some 1/8" cork composite gasket material to make a plug - it worked about as well as you would expect -

anyway, I won't have to worry about my shop floor rusting - - I fixed that end of things, adjusted the valves, and started reassembling - here's a pro-tip, be sure to replace the crankcase breather tube before you place the gas tank on this model...

no more pictures, I'll take a couple tomorrow - I did get the tractor reassembled and mowed one lap before I had to get onto another job - governor is working, tractor is running reasonably well, altho when I went to adjust the carburetor I found the idle adjustment screw fully screwed in - tractor idles decently, but something is wrong with that situation - I guess I'll pick up a carb kit, also need a set of plug wires and new distributor cap - the tractor did come with new points and plugs - I borrowed an oil cap from my TO30, I need to get one of those -

dunno - I really want to like this tractor, but it's not there yet

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Z134 repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the up date pomester.............:)

Bob....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters