Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a New Holland 273 small square baler for about 15 years with no major issues other than having to have one knotter replaced.

A couple of days ago the PTO shaft broke at the flywheel. There is about an inch to inch and a half sticking out of the universal joint yoke and the same depth hole inside where the flywheel slips onto the gearbox shaft.

My main question at this time is how do I remove the flywheel to get a better look at what happened. I assume the slip clutch needs to be removed from the flywheel, but then how is the flywheel attached to the shaft? Is there a bolt through the yoke that normally would need to be removed to pull the PTO shaft off the flywheel or gearbox shaft?

Have not had time to really study the parts yet as I borrowed a neighbor's baler for three days to finish the hay before the rain started again.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Am hoping that the broken part can be welded back as if it is the gearbox shaft the two parts I would have to buy were listed on Messicks for $2,400 which is more than the baler is worth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need help New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

poapony wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:05:37 06/11/1Cool I have had a New Holland 273 small square baler for about 15 years with no major issues other than having to have one knotter replaced.

A couple of days ago the PTO shaft broke at the flywheel. There is about an inch to inch and a half sticking out of the universal joint yoke and the same depth hole inside where the flywheel slips onto the gearbox shaft.

My main question at this time is how do I remove the flywheel to get a better look at what happened. I assume the slip clutch needs to be removed from the flywheel, but then how is the flywheel attached to the shaft? Is there a bolt through the yoke that normally would need to be removed to pull the PTO shaft off the flywheel or gearbox shaft? My baler has the one piece PTO shaft and not the two piece.

Have not had time to really study the parts yet as I borrowed a neighbor's baler for three days to finish the hay before the rain started again.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Am hoping that the broken part can be welded back as if it is the gearbox shaft the two parts I would have to buy were listed on Messicks for $2,400 which is more than the baler is worth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post a pic and we can help. If it broke ahead of the slip clutch gear box should be fine. They usually break inside the slip clutch area.

SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A drive line shop can probably make a new one for less than
half what fiat wants for the oem made in China part

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pto shaft is attached to the slip clutch. Slip clutch is attached to the flywheel. Once that is off there is a bolt holding the flywheel on. Use a cherry picker, chain hoist or a loader to pull flywheel if needed.

Dopp Creek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a slip clutch plate that bolts to the flywheel that has a pilot shaft roughly 1" diameter x 3" long. If you broke the PTO shaft and it
flopped around, it may have broken that shaft off. Plate is about 200.00. You may have lost the springs and pins that are part of the over-
running clutch. Measure your holes because there are two different diameters of those pins.
Remove the cone-shaped shroud over the clutch, then there are six springs compressed by 5/16" bolts that provide the resistance for the slip
clutch. Measure the compressed height of the springs before your loosen the bolts. There is a book spec for max. compressed length, I think it's
around 1.5". Remove the bolts and you'll be able to disassemble the clutch friction discs (2) and look at everything. If the frictions and/or
plates are glazed, consider scuffing them up with a Scotchbrite disc pad before re-assembly. When you re-assemble, pay close attention to the
center disc and notice it has a shoulder on each side. The friction discs MUST be on those shoulders so they are completely flat. I put just a
light bit of spring tension on the assembly and poked the discs with a flat screwdriver to center them. Failure to do so will result in a clutch
that does nothing but slip. Once the discs are engaged on the shoulder, tighten the bolts til the springs are the correct height.
Hope this helps.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry about reposting the original problem, for some reason it is difficult to navigate a post on here. Eventually i will figure it out.

After further investigation today I realized that the gearbox shaft and the shaft that the PTO connects to are two different parts.

First glance I thought the gearbox shaft went through the flywheel and the slip clutch and then the PTO connected to it. Today i realized that the PTO shaft connects to a shaft that is part of the base plate for the slip clutch so I will remove the slip clutch and proceed from there.

Thanks everybody for the great info.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Poapony, may have the parts you need to fix.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ArleninOr wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:56:01 06/13/1Cool Poapony, may have the parts you need to fix.

Got the Slip clutch taken off and apart this evening, think I need three different parts. Let me know what you think.
Feel I need the 1. clutch plate ( base that bolts to flywheel-broken shaft)--2. center clutch plate (one with curved grooves that rear end of PTO shaft fits in and 3. whatever goes in the tail end of the PTO shaft that makes the PTO shaft spin the baler. I assume that there are some sort of pins and springs that fit in the two holes on the end of the yoke.

ArleninOr where are you located if you might have usable replacement parts? I am in east TN.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a photo that didn't upload the first time.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Didn't upload the second time will try again

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look around for a parts baler. Might as well do it now because you're gonna need more parts down the line. Repairing that by the piece is going to be expensive. You can get the whole assy for less.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

POA, short driveline or three joint? Makes a difference. Let me know and I can possibly help. E-mail open.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ArleninOr wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:29:14 06/16/1Cool POA, short driveline or three joint? Makes a difference. Let me know and I can possibly help. E-mail open.

My baler has the short tongue, short PTO shaft with a universal joint at each end. There is no universal joint between the baler end and the tractor end.

poapony
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New here need hilp New Holland 273 hayliner Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ArleninOr, couldn't find an email address to contact you tried to send a PM that didn't work either. Am sure it is my lack of computer skills, at any rate you can email me at: dfo4883@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters