Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD deck spindle zerks screw-in?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IaLeo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That middle zerk on the 54" deck is very hard to reach with the rubber hosed grease gun. I am going to try to replace that zerk with a 90 deg. one. Testing one of the outer spindle zerks to see if it unscrews (using a vise grip) seemed like it was very tight and I did not want to wreck the thing...are these zerk fittings pressed in?

Worst case, I will have to drop the deck off and pull it out from under the tractor...seems like a lot of work!

Thanks for your knowledge...Leo

ed will
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I know exactly what you mean! It's hard to get
down and hold the grease gun on the zirk and then
pump the gun handle. I would like to put a
90?elbow on mine too. Ed Will Oliver BC

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hold on a second before you break something. Look at a clean zerk
fitting first with your close up glasses on. You will see a 5/16 nut.
That is how you screw one in. A DRIVE fitting is just round. No flats
like on a nut. You can get drive fittings out. Use a Brand New pair of
#10 vice grips. Lock them on really good. Perpendicular to the
fitting. Now pulling srtaight up and give it a little CCW twist it
should pop out. Going to take some omph to get it out. I your fitting
has flats give it a little heat and unscrew it. Replace with new one
and make it a 45? or a 90? fitting.

IaLeo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffcat, mine does have hex flats and I will try to unscrew it. The JD dealer says no 90fitting is available? I have some 90 deg fittings but look to large, so I want to take one out and see if I can find one 90 in town. Leo

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IaLeo wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:45:03 06/11/1Cool Thanks Jeffcat, mine does have hex flats and I will try to unscrew it. The JD dealer says no 90fitting is available? I have some 90 deg fittings but look to large, so I want to take one out and see if I can find one 90 in town. Leo

www.mcmaster.com has a good selection of grease fittings at 90 degrees, usa thread, metric thread and press in. Typically they ship the same day as ordered.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've considered running brake tubing to deck fittings just to make life easier. Could probably engineer a grease manifold w/o much effort...

DoubleO7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not all press-in zerks are hex-less.
McMaster-Carr shows some angled ones with hex flange.

But..............

Why not use a grease gun with rigid metal tube and a multi position head on the end?
I have ditched the rubber hose type altogether because I have not yet found any zerk in a position that can not be greased with the swivel head.
The rubber hose type requires your hand in there on the end to get it on the fitting.
Not with the metal tube and swivel head. Just rotate/index head to the right position, reach in and push onto the zerk via cartridge barrel.
I use this one, but there are many slightly different.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the model of the deck? With that info one can go to www.jdparts.com, look up the original zerk, and view it's specifications. (Anyone can look up the parts, to view "specs" for individual parts you have to be registered with DEERE.)

NO guesswork needed.

Mule Meat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure that you have the clearance for a 90.

Some makes and models a 90 zerk fitting on the center spindle will hit when the deck is raised...

Cough cough.. Cub cough cough Cadet cough..[/code]

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mainfold won't work as the spindle shaft spins, unless you get an expensive swivel of some
sort.

jacks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use an attachment on my grease gun to grease the center spindle on
my Wheel Horse. The attachment has a grease zerk on one end which you
push into your grease gun tip. The other end has a notch in it and
will slide over a grease fitting at a right angle. Works great and
does not leak grease. Cost about 10$. Works on all kind of equipment
and solves the problem of hard to reach fittings in most cases.

IaLeo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JD deck spindle zerks screw-in? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I will look into the attachment to my grease gun and not mess with the spindle zerk. Leo

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters