Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RV Generator Update Billy Shafer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A while back I posted to Billy Shafer and others about my RV Generator shutting down due to high temp like maybe after running AC 30 to 45 minutes. I installed a new 293 Degree Thermal (Thanks Billy for the info, old one was 274 or 284 I think??),,,,,,,,,,,,,,Changed oil from Castrol Synthetic to Royal Purple Synthetic but I dont think that mattered one bit,,,,,,,,,,,,,Got the fuel mixture so she runs a tad richer, although, she started n ran fine and powered AC etc just fine before.

Other day it was like 90 degrees and she ran like 90 minutes powering AC NO PROBLEMS NO SHUT DOWNS

Only time will tell

Thanks Billy and all others who responded

John T

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back that is so valuable to all of us!

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Youre welcome I also enjoy when the poster lets us know what happened..........

John T

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John getting it to run just a little bit richer makes more difference than you think. We found this out on some Honda liquid pumps that had the thermal shut offs. We where pumping liquid fertilizer. The majority of the time your doing that in cold weather and all was well. Then you would side dress corn in the hot humid summer days. Pumps would not pump a semi load off without shutting off. To get by we unhooked the thermal shutdowns. Yes these motors have temperature and oil shut offs on them. They are 27 HP motors on four inch pumps. When I got time I took my digital thermometer and checked the running under load temperature. Right at 300 degrees on the block. Removed all the EPA seals on the fuel mixture adjustments. Played with them while under load with high humidity. Richening the fuel mixture, the correct amount, dropped the block temperature 50 degrees. Hooked the shut offs back up and they are still running fine 2 years later.

I later got to checking around on small gas motors and found the new EPA mandated motors run much hotter than the older motors of the same size. I think they are doing it to meet EPA regulations. One of the things is fuel mixture. Most are running on the lean side.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad it is working for you John T. I always hated those some time shutdowns They can make it very hard on the guy trying to fix it. Really bad when the customer is standing there. Watching you and it won't shut down.

I had one in the yard with a man and his very mad wife. Going on vacation and the genset shutdown. Wife was very upset. They put off the vacation for a week. It sat in our yard for three days. Cranked it at 7 am shut it down at 5 pm. For three days fully loaded in the Texas heat. Never did stop.They went on vacation for two weeks through the south west. Never did shutdown. Of course I got elected to try and explain it to the wife. For some one so hot. It was very cold trying to explain.

Running a little richer might be the answer.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree JD, a lean mixture is less effective at transferring heat out the exhaust. Liquid is a better heat conductor then air so if the fuel air ratio is richer its extracting more heat out the combustion chamber to the exhaust. That and a new higher temp thermal seems to have cured the problem, for now at least.

John T

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree (see below) a tad richer fuel air mixture plus a new higher (I think) thermal seems to be working...

John T

Greg1959
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dang! Y'all know a lot about Gensets and AC's! Thanks!

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I have been at it for fifty years. You learn a few things. But you never stop learning.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Onan? I've never met an Onan unit that was any good.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:02:26 07/06/1Cool Onan? I've never met an Onan unit that was any good.
Our ONAN 25KW unit, powered by Ford industrial 223 CI engine still performs well after all these years.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: RV Generator Update Billy Shafer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's because it has a Ford engine... The RV units have Onan engines.

Just last weekend I listened to the next door neighbor at the event where I was camping crank and crank and crank and crank and crank on their brand new Onan generator.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters