Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

hardener in rustoleum primer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to paint my TO-35 with rustoleum - I liked the results ptfarmer achieved on his 135.

I was going to use rustoleum primer as there will be rust in the castings no matter what. I was going to drench it in Dawn, rinse, dry, scrub wiht naptha, and then apply picklex or phosx or simialr rust converter, then paint with rusty metal primer from rustoleum.

I will add hardener to the finish enamel, but should I ad it to the primer as well?

thanks in advance.

Bill

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't add hardener to the primer unless you don't plan on sanding between coats. Primer is made soft to make it easy to sand and the hardener would counteract that.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the other have said no hardener in the primer. For the color with the hardener you need to thin the paint just a little bit with enamel reducer as the hardener works better with the enamel reducer.

William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptfarmer,

which reducer did you use with the rustoleum? and can you tell me proportions?

thanks

Bill

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With any oil based enamel you thin it as little as you can to make it work and only if it needs it. Try not thinning it at all first. Spraying it the paint should appear like it's going to orange peal while you are applying it. It's slow drying so it will flow together. Try it on something scrap first to see. If you thin oil based enamel too much it will make it take longer to dry and often screws up the sheen. It also makes it more prone to get runs in it. If the paint needs thinner just use a couple of tablespoons per quart first and it takes a lot of stirring to get it to mix.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-William Fissell wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:56:33 07/09/1Cool ptfarmer,

which reducer did you use with the rustoleum? and can you tell me proportions?

thanks

Bill

They have a slow, medium, and fast enamel reducers which depends on what the temperature is when you are spraying (hotter/slower, colder/faster). I get my enamel reducer from a automotive paint store, and you don't have to use very much reducer. Its usually cheaper to get a gallon of reducer instead of a quart. If its going to get close to 100 degrees even the slow reducer will start to dry too fast, if its over 100 degrees don't paint.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rust-o-leum paint from Home Depot for $9 a quart, and little automotive enamel reducer with the hardener.

For the MF flint metallic gray I mixed a quart each of rust-o-leum smoke gray, aluminum, and gloss black. For the MF silver a quart of smoke gray, and a quart of aluminum. For the red I used rust-o-leum Sunrise red (even though its not the correct color), the gray, and silver aren't correct, but its close enough for me.

William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. Theres a lot of enamel reducers out there and I had/have no idea what will work. Ill post some pics when I am (finally) done. Hows the fading on the sunrise red?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: hardener in rustoleum primer? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No fading on the red yet after almost 2 years, whenever its not used its in the barn, or under a good shade tree for a few hours. It's only out in the sun when its working, its a pain to paint a tractor so anything I can do to make the paint last longer the better.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters