Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What a day.........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: What a day......... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a family reunion 60 miles from home this noon, and a birthday party 20 miles away at 3:30.

At the reunion, a cousin and another cousin's son-in-law and I talked stock car racing most of the time. My cousin and I were in it in the past and the other guy still is.

The birthday party was the 80th for a retired medical doctor. I taught him to water ski in 1967, right after he hung out his shingle, and we've been water skiing and deer hunting buddies ever since. Although neither of us skis anymore. He delivered our daughter when she was born, and he attended her baptism, confirmation, and 8th grade, high school, and college graduation parties. We reciprocated for his kids. (Minus the deliveries, obviously).

The fellow who is still racing said their engines have to be absolutely stock. They have to buy a crate engine and have an inspector watch them open the crate. The inspector then puts seals on the engine so it can't be opened up.

The rules we ran under when I was racing were we had to run stock sheet metal within the last five model years, wheelbase had to be the same as the sheet metal, the engine had to be the same make as the sheet metal, and our front spark plug couldn't be over 2" behind a line across the upper ball joints. Beyond that, it was pretty much "run watcha brung". We all ran quick change rear ends. That makes a whole new ballgame out of it.

My recliner's calling me.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What a day......... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a while bunch of classes at the dirt tracks here. Some are claimer classes to keep owners from putting too much in to them,others aren't.
In a claimer class,anybody who finished the race can buy the engine out of a car from the top five finishers for whatever the set price is in that class.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What a day......... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the idea of a guy "claiming" an engine rule. Guys will figure out how to get past those seals .

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What a day......... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We never ran under a claim rule with our late model modifieds, but on the classes where there was a claim rule, the claimant had to put up the money in cash before the race. The "claimee" could then opt out of the race if he didn't want to let his engine go for that price. After the race the engine was the claimant's, regardless of condition.

I know of one situation where a claimed engine blew all to hell in the feature race and the claimant got one cylinder head and an intake manifold that he could still use. It kinda kept the claim sensible.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters