Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis-Chalmers Model G

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to look at a Model G with seeders and cultivators tomorrow. Been sitting for 4 years out in the weather. I know nothing about A-C tractors so hoping for a little guidance before I go see it. Looks like a fun project tractor. Can anybody tell the approx. year of the tractor from the Craigslist ad? I am quite handy with Fords but I need a new challenge. Thanks in advance for any help

https://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/d/allis-chalmers-tractor-with/6659436637.html

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

only way to tell is going to be with the serial number

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JoeM(GA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:09:54 08/04/1Cool only way to tell is going to be with the serial number

Wherabouts is the serial number on those ACG's
Is there a chart available for me to print out before i go see it?

TomIn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/0/6-allis-chalmers-g.html

lfnel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Challenge that one would be! Fun, but lots of $$$$$. The hard to find weight on the front end is plus though. I see several nicer ones on Craigslist. It's almost always the case that by putting more money into a better used tractor, you'll end up with a nicer one for less money after all is said and done.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Serial number is just behind the gearshift lever and it'll be upside down when looking from the front unless its G #1 (little joke there). Also that is not an original front weight.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Notoriously finnicky starter" is bull. He just didn't know how to set it up. I had the field coils replaced on mine and the guy didn't connect them right. I spins the wrong way. It hand starts so easily that I never fixed the starter. That's quite a project and looks like a lot more than four years in the weather. Common problem on Gs was breaking axle shafts but you can get aftermarket shafts. Continental engine, parts are available but pricey. It's a two-bearing crankshaft so not good for lugging. Front weight is good but that's not original.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will have your work cut out to get it going.And a lot of $$$. I would look for one in better shape
if your set on a G. I have one and there good machine. I use it for gardening.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That more than likely will be a firm price for some time way in the future. Fan bearings are exposed to the elements without a hood. I bought one in that condition and I had NAPA rebuild the engine and it cam to a grand total of $1100.00. 1100 and I put it back together. It needed bored and the crankshaft ground.

some pictures at the link to let you see what they are all about. After this one I went out and bought two and a half more as you will find in the pictures.
Allis G Pictures

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have always wanted a A/C G but for that price and the condition it appears to be in I would keep looking. In my area one almost never sees a G let alone one for sale. Reason I want a G is only because they where made in the town I was born in

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Copied from the serial number chart in the left hand menu.

Year Starting Serial Number
1948 6
1949 10961
1950 23180
1951 24006
1952 25269
1953 26497
1954 28036
1955 29036
The Serial Number is located on top of transmission case, to the rear of the shift lever

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About 25 years ago I bought a G from an old guy who was moving south. A 1949 in real good condition and when I went to look at it he said there's a second on to go with it. All told I got 2 tractors, cultivators, Mott mower, front snow blower, chains and 2 plows. All for $2K. Haven't done anything with the second one but it's a first year (ser. 1091) 95 complete.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw it today...liked it... it's all there...needs battery, plug wires, air cleaner top.

I hooked up battery to the starter and cranked to develop normal oil pressure. All looks good with the crankcase oil. Gas tank was dry and slightly rusty. I'm sure carb was gunked up but rebuildable. It comes double seeder units plus a 4' or so bare with cultivator arms. It needs air in the rears but are good . Air needed in the fronts, one front questionable.

I offered the guy 1000 and he said F**k No so I walked away. I'll let him stew on my offer a while and call him up in a week. And see what he says.

I want to take on the project but not for 1500

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After your pictures I would change my mind about the price. If I wanted another I would go the 1500 with the seeder.
Spinning over is a good sign but would be expected with a flat head. That engine without a water pump was used in other tractors and factory mules. When over heated they would loose their compression. When they didn't have a lot of hours the pistons could be taken out the bottom with only removing the pan with new rings would be back running. With luck this could make it hard to start because of low compression. On this one I would remove the head and measure the cylinders for wear If you find it to be low on compression. I found it easier to put the rings on the pistons after they had been pushed up from the bottom.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Allis-Chalmers Model G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That planter set up is pretty neat and would make it worth more to me.If I wanted a G I'd probably go the $1500.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters