Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramblineagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What type of tires do most of you use on your goose neck or bumper hitch trailer,
radial or bias ply? Trailer rated or just tires designed for pick ups? Mine is a
14,000lb rated trailer.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is one of those topics with no clear consensus. I have run radials on my trailers for probably the last twenty years. I had wear problems with the originals on my 22,400 gooseneck that was almost always running fully loaded. My viewpoint is that you are best of with trailer tires that have a rating on the sidewall consistent with your trailer load.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a lot better luck with lt rated pickup tires

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My trailer is a bumper pull 14,000lb deckover that is 6 years old and tires are E rated and not showing any signs of weathering and are kept at 80 lbs all year round. If I was to replace them I would go with a G rated trailer tire which will care 4,400 lbs. @ 110 lbs. pressure per tire compared to the 3,200 lbs.@ 80 lbs. pressure of the E rated tire. Trailer tires do have heavier side walls and don't have the sway factor that the automotive tire. To get a tire that will carry max load on a 14,000lb. trailer you need an F (12 ply) or G (14 ply) rated tire.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 14,000 lb bumper hitch deckover has never hauled much over half it's rated capacity and a lot of roads here in Maine have a steep crown that will get the trailer wagging it's tail. I run 55 lbs. in the four tires. Our truck is a Ram 1500 can't say enough good about this truck it does a great job for us. After reading this post will look into maybe more tire pressure.

acadam20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just put new Hercules H-901 G rated trailer tires on my gooseneck trailer. Pulled it 3 hours away and ran straight/smootgh as could be (I do have my trailer tires balanced too). I'd recommend them so far. On vehicles I haven't had a Hercules that's been junk so I imagine these will be fine.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen a bias tire have a tread separation, but I have seen a lot of good tread radial tire come apart(I have two on the pu right now,4 years old way over half tread)I run bias on the flat bed, they are over 15 years old.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when bias ply tires were all we had I had a number of them with tread separation. With radials when tire hit its max mileage get off because steel belts are breaking down and will start to come through tread of tire. I have had several 60,000 mile tires at just over 60,000miles on them and run your hand over them at get stuck wire belts coming through tread. They also get squirrely when steel belts break down.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of trailer rated tires and bias tires fail, at a much higher rate than LT tires. I always wonder why anyone would want a cheaper, lower quality tire on your trailer than on your truck? And why make your trailer pull harder with bias tires?

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are reasons why "trailer use only" tires are banned from use on drive and steer axle application. Also reasons why trailer use tires are cheaper than comparable truck tires. (Comparing 8 or 10 ply to 8 or 10 ply. Not 14 ply trailer tires to 6 ply truck)

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also balanced all trailer tires that left my shop. I'll bet most people don't.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run balanced radial trailer tires with a speed rating of at least L or higher and a proper ply to hold the weight.

The reason most trailer tires fail.
They are over loaded.
They are not rated for the speed that people use them.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tires under inflated is number one cause of tire failing .

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll second 14 ply. If not, decent LT pick-up tires.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They tell you to replace a radial tire every six years regardless of tire wear. I believe it because my trailer fenders are beat all to H from them delaminating. A radial tire is like buying a retread where a bias tire will usually last until the tread wears out with no problems. I put bias tires on my trailer 10 years ago and because I not pulling the trailer daily the tires have a lot of tread left. Then I have bias tires on my jeep I bought in 1998. The tread is about gone but I don't worry about them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters