Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 820 16.5ft head but all the wood is rotten and some of the tines have fallen out. What is a cheap alternative I can't seem to find a parts reel in central Wisconsin, and to repair it all new would be 1000s. I'm pretty good with wood but can the old tines have the rivet drove out and put in new wood?

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just go to Shoup and buy the wooden bats with plastic teeth already on them. The complete kit with new bats and all new teeth is $647.90.

https://www.shoupparts.com/FTI16-165-ft-Flex-Tine-Kit-Case-IH
CIH 16.5 fot kit

michiganmilkman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother got the wood from menards and the fingers from shoup when he did his head. I dont think he had 300 bucks into redoing the whole reel.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you find one of any width? Just cut them off to fit your 16.5

andy r
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have rebuilt the reels on three or four John Deere 200 series heads that have the wooden boards with the steel tines. I believe the originals are probably oak, but I have replaced them with treated lumber. Purchased 1" by 4" lumber needs to be ripped on a table saw to narrow the width up some. Treated lumber is probably pine, but I have not had any problems using pine. I sort through the lumber at the retailer in an attempt to avoid big loose knots and splits. In a case or two where I just replaced one or two boards on a head I just drilled holes in the board and bolted the steel tines back on. Where I have replaced all of the boards I have updated the head with the "bolt on" plastic tines purchased through Shoup. A small battery powered impact wrench sure helps to speed assembly. I find it easiest to bolt the boards on the reel and then come back and drill and bolt the tines on. I hold an old board up against the new board and make marks where the holes should be. Then I hold the new plastic tine on top of the mark and use the hole as a guide. The plastic tines need to be tight against the bottom of the board or they will twist. Be careful not to crush the treated pine, it is not as hard as the original oak. The plastic tines are not as strong as the original steel tines. They will flex in extremely lodged beans. The big plus with the plastic tines is that they will not knock out sickle sections like the steel tines if the reel is set to low and the cutter bar flexes up. I generally cover the treated lumber with a coat of black enamel paint. If you run a good number of acres of beans yearly the reel nearly needs painted every year.

Chris in SK
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: repairing wood pickup reel on 820 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve rebuilt a few with new wood. You can use bolts instead of rivets. The little clips can be a pain. You really need to chisel out a little recess for the spring or the metal tines will turn and fall out. Plastic tines are easier on the top of your head when your working on the knife and forget they are there!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters