Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Front end wobble

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1944 Farmall M tractor,tricycle. Last year I bought a steering kit with bushings and bearings and installed it on my M, along with turning the sector gear and buying a new/used steering shaft with worm gear from Bates corp. I just completed a wheel bearing and seal replacement. Before I started any work the steering wheel would turn 90 degrees before the wheels moved. After all this work the steering wheel turns the wheels instantly, no play. I still have wobble going down the road. I did not replace the universal joint because it seemed tight and it has a grease fitting. What else is there to look at for wobble? I wonder how well these tractors handled new from the factory? Ideas? Thanks, Ellis

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One idea; remove the front grill, the hood, the steering box cover, jack up the front end a half inch, get the wheels off the ground, have someone sit in the seat and with one finger turn the steering wheel back-forth-back-forth, as you stand in front and see what is moving and what is not moving. That might tell you where the slop is.

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it possible that one or both front wheels and or tires may not be running true? I remember that they have cast centers for the rims to fasten to. There might a possibility that there is something that is preventing flat seating. You might try rotating the tires from side to side.
My son recently bought tires mounted on rims for a utility trailer and they were so far from running true that it shook the towing vehicle. They were also out of round. He took them back and they gave him a different pair which were better.

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good idea. I am getting the sheet metal painted next month, so I will have it apart then and check it out. When I had it off the ground for wheel bearings the steering wheel moved the tires with no slop at all. Ellis

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor has the old style wheels and rims that fasten like the rears, with clamps. I re-worked the rims by welding 2 small tabs on each rim to keep the rims from slipping on the wheels, and built up the worn spots. I did reverse the tires, wheels, and rims to opposite sides, but that didn't make any difference. Ellis

Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drive one front tire up on a 2x4 to get the other tire off the ground/floor. Use another 2x4 set vertically beside the raised front wheel close enough to leave a small gap. Spin the wheel thats off the ground while watching the gap between the 2x4 and the tire to check for wobble. Next lay the 2x4 down and slide it under the tire to the same small gap and spin the tire to see if its out of round. Repeat this same procedures for the other tire. This should show if tire or wheel is the problem.
How does the rim bolt to the hub? If it has "pucks" that hold the rim on you likely need to loosen them and reposition the rim. I know of no adjustment if the rim bolts directly to the hub.

Dave

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You didn't go deep enough. The wobble problem usually is not in the steering. The wobble results from worn out bushings in the lower bolster, and probably the bolster steering shaft is worn out also. When these tractors were new, and/or not worn out, they would go straight down the road in road gear, wide open throttle, and you could easily steer with just one hand. Rebuild that bolster and it will be that nice again.

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is what I was trying to say in my post. I bought the kit to replace all the bushings and bearings to rebuild the bolster. I just forgot the
nomenclature. I have always wondered how true they ran new. Thanks, Ellis

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have also heard of cheating by lowering the pressure in one of the tires to create a little drag. I don't know about it, but would be cheap and easy to try.

tomdowling
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Iowa Roy is right, as a last resort if all else fails lower the pressure in one tire.

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove nut on sector gear install washer that is bigger than splines,reistall nut and tighten.Scott

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they made "steering shims" they went between the steering pedestal and the steering shaft that were supposed to help with as I have heard called "flutter steering " they changed the "rake" of the front end I have never used them so I cant really say much

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they made "steering shims" they went between the steering pedestal and the steering shaft that were supposed to help with as I have heard called "flutter steering " they changed the "rake" of the front end I have never used them so I cant really say much

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

brain fart they are called "steering wedges" sorry for the triple post I don't know how I did that and I sure wish they would bring back the EDIT BUTTON

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters