Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 310

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last night I went to buy a horse for my wife and sitting out in the man's field was a Case 310 tractor. It's still painted in the original Desert Sunset over Flambeau Red factory paint with some surface rust. The Case and 300 decals can still be read perfectly on the cowling and rear of the seat. However, the side panels and front bumper are missing. Spin-out rims on the rear, and although I didn't see them, I'm assuming adjustable width axles on the front. The transmission is a "triple-range" 4-speed, which, from my reading, should mean it has a "live" PTO.

He walked out of his barn when I asked about it, told me he only used it to spray w/ and he hadn't started it for about 3 months. He turned the key and away she went. It was dark by this time so I didn't get to drive it. Tires were about 50% with some cracking from what I could tell in the dark. Told me he'd take $1,200 for the tractor. I think I could get it for $1,000. Is it worth it?

I'm supposed to get pics today and will post if I do.

Thanks for your time!

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

310s were built for commercial users, rather than for row crop farming. 310s have flanged rear axles and fixed width I beam front axles. There were also 2 generations of them. 1956-7 round nose, and 1958-60 square nose tractors. Mechanically the same tractors, just different hood designs. Since the one you are looking at has spin-out rears it is likely a 311 or later 311B
The sn# will be under the steering wheel and tell you what model it is.
The price sounds very reasonable based on your description. Front bumpers were optional and quite rare. Pic is 1957 311RN.
Loren

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I stand corrected! Thanks again for your knowledge, Loren!

I'd looked @ a spec site and saw that a 310 was listed as a gasoline utility, were as the 311, a gasoline row-crop. Row-crop to me meant "tri-cycle" or narrow front end. The pic referenced also showed an NFE. So much for me trying to look smart!! The model I saw last night looked much like the picture you've posted.

I hope to have additional info today. I'd get it myself, but the tractor's nearly 3 hours away.

Have a great day!

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

300/300B series tractors do not have a "live" PTO. If the tractor has the optional hand clutch as well as the foot clutch, the PTO is billed by Case as "constant running" .

Disengaging the foot clutch stops tractor ground travel and the PTO. Disengaging the hand clutch only while the foot clutch remains engaged stops the tractor ground travel but the PTO continues to run. This is useful when clearing a mower, baler, etc that is clogging. PO should be able to advise you on how the hand clutch works if it is so equipped as it likely is being triple range.

I am with Loren, you appear to be describing a model 311/311B row crop tractor as opposed to model 310/310B utility tractor. Tractor running, decent rear rubber/rims and sheet metal in my area sells for $1500 - $2000.

Pic1 Model/serial nr tag location on 300 series round nose tractors and Pic2 on 300B series square nose tractors.

Joe

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry fellas! You're beginning to make me question any of the info I get from the spec site!

Maybe they should call y'all before they publish their data. All the more reason to belong to a forum such as this.

Thanks again for your expertise!!

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, Loren/Joe,

As I understand it, the hand clutch on this tractor replaces the top half of a two-stage clutch, which is what I have on my David Brown, correct? Does the Case PTO continuously run if the tractor is in gear or is there a switch/lever/button to disengage it?

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hand clutch on the triple range engages/disengages the 12spd tranny. The PTO is driven off the flywheel clutch disc and engaged/disengaged with the shift rod on the back of tractor. If you have the pto shifted into gear at the rear, any time you dump the foot clutch everything stops, (tranny and pto). When you pull the hand clutch lever back, just the transmission stops, and pto continues to turn, (thus the term continuous pto) You can shift gears in all speeds plus backing up using the wet disc hand clutch. This system utilizes the same drive/driven plates that were used in pto operation all the way up thru the 70 series. Just different modes of controlling the pto operation.
Are you confused YET ????.
Loren

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, I don't think I'm confused. To me, it's in theory, a two-stage clutch. However, the first stage of the clutch is operated by hand and the second by foot. If I push the two-stage on my DB halfway, it stops the transmission. This serves the same purpose as the hand clutch on the Case. If I push the Brown's clutch to the platform, everything stops. Same happens on the Case. My Brown has a lever under the seat to engage/disengage the PTO. From what your telling me, the Case has the same engage/disengage mechanism, but only a single speed.

Is that correct?

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have the idea how it works. PTO is mechanically engaged/disengaged with the lever on the back on the tractor. PTO normal rpm 533 @ engine rpm 1750 as marked on the gauge board tachometer above.

A frequent malfunction in these number series tractors is migration of torque tube hydraulic oil into the 4 speed transmission via leaking eagle hitch piston seal (most common), leaking PTO drive shaft seal (common) or rarely front transmission drive shaft seal. symptom is low hydraulic oil level in torque tube (discounting external leaks) and high oil level in the transmission. This is not a showstopper, relatively Cheap and easy fix for average mechanical ability if piston seals or PTO shaft seal. Front transmission drive shaft seal replacement requires split, not fun, but rarely required.

Joe

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So then, if I can buy this on the cheap, put a little TLC into it, get (most) everything working, is there a market for them? Not that I'd want to sell it, but if the situation arose.

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stoneman44 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:54:04 10/07/1Cool So then, if I can buy this on the cheap, put a little TLC into it, get (most) everything working, is there a market for them? Not that I'd want to sell it, but if the situation arose.

I really don't think that is a sustainable income choice. You well may end up spending more for parts, paint, etc than you can recover even when not considering your labor.

Buying/repairing old machinery really only makes sense if you have a use for it in my opinion.

When I retired from my career at 55 I started repairing tractors for neighbors, friends and friends of friends. It got to be more than a hobby that often cost me more than I could reasonably charge so my labor was often less than minimum wage or simply free. For instance, I have restored several cluster gauge boards for these tractors. There was no way I could recover expenses and charge for my labor at less than $500 each.

I still do some repairs but just for close friends, neighbors labor free.

Joe

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I paid $1600 for my 311. Had the side panels and tires were less than 50%. No front bumper and the grill was cracked. Also, had a bad rod bearing. It has been a good tractor.
Price depends a lot location. I'm in the east.

Stoneman44
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, here are the pics. Whataya all think? Is it worth $1,000? I'm guessing another $500-$800 to fix her up to respectable, probably $1500-$2000 for a full restoration?

The owners couldn't find a serial # on the tractor. Judging from Joe's earlier picture to me, there seems to be a caution sticker in that spot. I don't know if that's factory, but it sure appears to be!

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is not a 350, it is a model 311 row crop. You must have missed the down arrow on my tag location pic. Check the area circled on your tractor pic.

This is what you see looking down sitting in the seat, check the hydraulic oil in the torque tube with that dipstick. The transmission dipstick is a 1-1/2 plug aft of the transmission shifter plate under the seat. The notch a few inches above the end of the stick in the full mark.

If it runs, drives, rear tires/rims are in decent shape it is well worth that price

Joe

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 310 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor appears to be in nice shape on the outside. Certainly has a unique home built exhaust system !!!. The 300's had capabilities that no small Ford N or hundred series ever had, Small Case tractors did not achieve the notoriety that Fords got. Only users were aware of the Case 300's abilities.
If you want to keep it and use it, you will have a very versatile tractor for hobby farming.
If you just want to flip it and turn a profit, you will be disappointed.
Loren

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters