Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1086, s/n 60522 with open-center hydraulics, is having an issue with raising my disc when hooked to the remote. Here is what has been done/checked so far:
- Fluid level checked and topped off
- Recent hydraulic filter change (roughly 10 hours of use since change)
- Worked when using my old haybine to raise the cutterbar
- Will extend the cylinder when it is detached from the disc (no load)
- Just to rule out issues, replaced the hose ends on the disc with new ones
- Have tried both of the remotes on the back of the tractor with same results
- It will extend when hooked to disc until the point that the wheels make contact with ground and then that's it, will lift wheels quick and just fine.
- Have tried it with the 3-point lever in various positions. When in the range where it controls the draft response the remotes respond slower/faster for the little bit of movement they actually do, which is the way it is designed.
- The levers seem to have a noticeable detent in the various positions as you would expect them to.

Kind of at a loss as to where to look next without jumping to the conclusion that its the pump. Are there some things I am missing in my troubleshooting? Outside of having the expensive IH Flo Rater gauge setup is there a working-man's way of testing the pressure? Could this problem be related to a check valve issue? I believe this model has a check valve right beneath the cab that the lines coming from the remotes attach to ( at least that is going by the parts diagram, a box shaped device ).

Super B
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is an o-ring on the output of the hyd pump that could be blown, you need to drain the fluid and pull the pump if o-ring is blown when replacing it they make a plastic retaining ring to go around the o-ring to even pressure, kind of a job but a cheap fix, if that is it. if it is the o-ring your 3 point won't lift with a load on it or will go up then drop.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can put a pressure gage in the remotes, and this will give you a reading of pressure or the lack of depending on the case.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In some cases, putting 5 gallons of hytran in the tractor above full will disguise an Oring problem and hurts nothing. Cheap fix if it works. Jim

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hate to ask a question such as this, but can I use any hydraulic pressure gauge as long as it is rated to say 3,000 psi or higher? Assume I would just get a fitting to put on end of the hose that I could screw this gauge into correct?

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would it stand to reason that if I can lift and hold up a "heavy" load with the 3-point that this would rule out the blown o-ring?

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would it stand to reason that if I CAN lift and hold-up a "heavy" load on the 3-point that it will rule out the blown o-ring possibility?

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This may seem a silly question, but have you tried another cylinder? reversing hoses at quick coupler? moving lever with nothing hooked to hydraulics and listening for engine to load when hyd is dead headed? possible cylinder seals on piston are blown, piston loose on shaft ect.

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not silly. No I haven't tried a different cylinder. Did reverse hoses and did hook hoses to the other remote outlet with the same results. Also removed cylinder from the implement and actuated it through its full motion both ways with no problem. Can't say I let it deadhead at the end of the stroke but so far every things I've done has not generated much of "load" sound on the engine.

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did try moving controls with nothing hooked up and yes you can hear engine lugging a little, not like its going to choke down but it does change. Would that be as expected on a normal system?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the cylinder is bad, the piston packing might be leaking fluid from one end to the other. Can you get near the haybine to see if it still lifts it? If so, My money is no a bad cylinder piston seal. Jim

Super B
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you can lift and hold a heavy load on 3 pt you don't have a blown o-ring on the pump.

Super B
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can hold a load on the 3 pt it would also rule out a bad pump and let you know it is your remote outlets or a bad remote cylinder.

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

building pressure would require power that is why it loaded engine slightly, that would also check if you had a mechanical problem in pump drive my take not being there is you have more info to work with until you dead head into a pressure gage. also some people judge by the way hoses jump when pressure spikes as in end of stroke or dead heading.

addisonfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1086 Won't Raise Load On Remotes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok. Will do that in the morning. Would you think a 4-bottom turn plow would be sufficient of a load?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters