Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WD Hydraulic Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim(NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to change the hydraulic oil on my '49 WD; its 69 years old, as far as I know (I'm the original owner, sort of, my Dad bought it new when I was 4), and gets a little sluggish when I plow snow before it warms up. The manual says use 20W above 45 deg. and 10W below 45. I don't know if I can find 10W anymore. Would 5W-20 work? I have some of that I don't currently have a use for. Does anybody know the capacity? I couldn't find that in the manual.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's 5 or 6 quarts, but I don't really remember. As I recall, when we added a loader, we had to overfill the sump anyhow. I don't see why the oil you have wouldn't work. I use tractor hyd/trans oil in applications like that, but I always have that on hand. Don't forget to drain the rear, control housing on the pump when you drain the sump.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6 quarts

Madisonbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a Narrow Gage G with a cultivator. Tractor runs very well but only the rear gang raises.

Have not picked up owners manual yet, but wondering where do you check the oil level for the hydraulics and where do you add if necessary?

Appreciate any information on this subject.

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6 qts. I use the 303 stuff, but any hyd oil would work. New and clean beats old and dirty.
AaronSEIA

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: WD Hydraulic Oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine (bequeathed by my Grandad who bought it new), has had new/clean Engine oil in the hydraulic system..

10/30 would be as light as I would use in the engine or the Hydraulics.. unless the temps drop below 0 and stay there..

Synthetic oils may not get as stiff with temp change..

The Transmission gets really stiff on startup, until it runs and warms a little...makes the Hand Clutch drag ( Thick oil.)....!

One suggestion I will make.( I do this myself)..

In the Fall, I add one Qt of Rislone to the engine oil.. That will slowly and safely clean up the engine ( and thin the oil some) change it in the Spring..!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters