Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Using propane manifold on super m

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sony224422
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My exhaust seems to be stripped out, the manifold threads look worn and I was wondering if it's worth replacing with a propane manifold while its off.

I use the tractor for hay wagons and hay rides, and some parade duties, but it also is used to do farm things. I do not pull with it, and not sure i ever intend to.

I saw somewhere that it might not be a good idea for a working tractor because it can be hard to start when cold.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could but have you tried a new piece of threaded pipe? If you have enough threads left in it to tighten the pipe just snug and then braze
the pipe to manifold. Seen my dad do this for neighbors years ago and never seen one fail.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go back with a regular gas manifold.they can be fixed.I braze a pipe into it.Grind the top surface down to clean metal.You can take the original pipe,or a new pipe. Either cut new threads or grind to a taper to fit in the hole.Preheat the area well. When good and warm/hot start the brazeing process.Do this with the maniford on the tractor. let cool naturally.Done that many times.Some guys cut new threads. However,I have found the old cast is too hard to rethread and will ruin a tap.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A propane manifold on a cold-blooded tractor will make it even more "cold-blooded" - especially when lightly loaded and in cool, humid weather.

I'd see about fixing the existing manifold like d beatty suggests. Or replace it with a new gas manifold.

For your intended use you will be much happier!

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had luck with running a tap down in and dressing up and cutting a couple more new thread , then install a new piece of pipe . But before i install the new pipe i heat the manifold up then put the pipe in and tighten it up tight . A good high speed 2 inch pipe tap and some tap magic helps .

randy hall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can always rethread them on a large drill press. never ruined a tap yet.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And yes i have used a propane manifold on a reg. engine here in N/E Ohio on a tractor used as a chore tractor and it works out ok . We have a 450 Manifold on my one buddy's S/MTA that we built up and it is ALMOST the same deal with out the stove . And it runs vary well .

sony224422
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I appreciate all the help, I will go back and double check what is stripped. I just know if i need to remove the muffler, the whole pipe comes out and i have to fish it back down and in. I figured if it had to come off for repair maybe i'd put a propane one on for an extra horse but if it makes it harder to start when cold i may not. She fires on a half rotation now

Hayfarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as far as exhaust pipe, On my SMTA I took a short piece of 2" pipe and cut 3 or 4 times perpendicular to threads with hacksaw. threaded it into exhaust port a ways to where it got hard, backed off and then threaded in deeper and repeat. eventually got deep enough threads to hold pipe. I couldn't find anyone who had a 2" pipe tap. My exhaust pipe will loosten over a couple years but I just retighten with big pipe wrench. I was told you had to be somewhat careful cutting new threads with tap in that you could break manifold cast if you put too much pressure on it

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have one on my M, never noticed it runs better or worse, uses more fuel, is cold blooded, or anything. Last time I started in cold
it was last winter and had gotten don in the low teens the night before and maybe 30 when I started it. Fired up fine for it to
be "cold". I put in on because its what I had, works fine.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried to run a tap down one also, we had a 6 foot long pipe on the end of the 2 inch tap, we could just about tip the tractor over with the leverage we had,didn't cut much for thread's less then two turns !!

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an LP manifold on my M and 450 and had no problems being cold blooded and run fine. We hauled manure with M in middle of winter and
tractor started good and It had the 281 kit in it with the old 6 volt system. The 450 starts faster but has a 12 volt system. I have trouble with pipe working loose.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you use any thread cutting oil when cleaning threads and cutting new threads?

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best way to keep them tight is to run a tap down it and clean and dress up the threads , then with a new piece of 2 inch pipe with new threads take and heat the area of the manifold up with a torch and get it up to around 500 degrees and screw the new pipe in while it is cold and put the snag to it . She will be tight . This way when your useing it both the pipe and maifold will get warm together and stay tight

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Using propane manifold on super m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have run tap and new pipe and it still worked loose but didn't do the heat. I did find that I could use a 2" conduit nut and tighten it down and lock pipe to manifold.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters